We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Houston TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

My husband's job might take us to Aberdeen for 4 years. Though I love exotic travel and visiting Europe, (have spent much time in DK & UK,) I'm not a fan of this move. Especially after reading through Forum posts about the weather (love heat & sunshine) and the city (enjoy cosmopolitan offerings), and though middle age, I don't play golf or bridge. And I worry about leaving behind our 7 yr old beagle due to the rigors of moving and trouble of renting with a dog. Can anyone tell me what it's like now? Or give me tips?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

I recently discovered Heat Tech by Uniqlo (easy to but online). They make great thermal clothing that looks "normal", I have taken to wearing it to work most days, it is incredibly lightweight, soft and dare I say it, stylish!

If you feel the cold (or are acclimatising from the Texan summer heat!) I think thermals are a good idea!

Abs :)

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Cashmere is quite warm too - and Johnston's of Elgin is only 60 miles away....

Nice cafe there too.

Houston TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

I so appreciate the tips. As far as overdoing the insulation or heavy coats, you'd laugh to see this southerner (via Louisian, Memphis & Houston) react to cold. Especially as I've gotten older. On a sunny Texas winter day in the 50's, I'm bundled up. In the 60's, I'm in a sweater or jacket.

So, I'll probably need it all to live in Aberdeen. :-) Seriously, I'm the one skiing with the puffiest down mittens ever, and in gloves walking my dog on a slightly chilly day. I'm pathetic but my husband is raring for cold. He'll be in shorts.

I have a 15 yr old DK shearling jacket but it doesn't close tight l. I'll explore the websites offered. But doesn't shearling spot in rain? On web reviews, folks seem to love their 70% down coats esp. this harsh winter. ?

THANKS too for all the support from my fellow dog lovers. We're waiting for final job details to figure out how he'll go.

Still I have to say I have a pang for the thought of cold and little sun, especially on a day like today. Bright sun, 70 degrees and spring flowers calling me outside. But I get it, there's a lot of charm in Scotland.--with the right layers :) ~ Bec

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

if you are that 'bad' with the cold - think layers

thermals - the unliglo ones do really work & are very thin & flattering, thin fleece, cashmere sweater, gilet, shearling coat (15 yr old DK is fine - no need to be a style guru) or another layer of something waterproof (barbour does a great range of stylish jackets/coats).

You'll look like michelin man - but you'll be warm.

Earmuffs & hat, check golfing store for handwarmers that are activated by popping a button - small enough to fit into your mitts.

- plenty of ways to stay warm.

Aberdeenshire is among the sunniest places in Scotland.

www.metoffice.com can provide you with stats on sunshine hours/rainfall.

and don't forget - it's only a 3 hour flight to the south of spain

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Agree with all that advice! And as I've mentioned before, the silver lining is definitely the warm cosy feeling of walking into a shop/cafe/restaurant out of the blustery cold. I'd take that over the fridge-like AC if Texan malls any day!

It's a different climate, and I'm sure you'll be able to embrace the changes :)

Abs

Pennan, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Almost 5 years ago, My family & I moved from South Carolina to a small village North of Aberdeen (in Aberdeenshire).

There will be some adjustments, but the pros out weigh the cons.

There is unbelievable scenery - from the Cairngorms to the sea.

You won't be able to complain about not having anything to do.

You can visit all the quaint little fishing villages along the Moray Firth.

Explore historic castles and standing stones. There are boot sales and fantastic auctions (besides the same ole shopping malls in the city) Or just walk around the historic part of Aberdeen and the nearby college.

You can take short breaks and explore areas all over Scotland.

Don't dread this fantastic opportunity - go out there & experience it.

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

For what its worth I think a move like this is more about state of mind than creature comforts - yes there will be some losses but they will be outweighed by the gains.

Rent the movie Local Hero - at the end you'll start packing and want it sooner

Edited: 02 March 2011, 14:05
alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

metoffice.gov.uk/climate/…escotland

this website is rather good - showing climate date for the last 30years for scotland - compare east coast & west coast

plenty of sunshine in Aberdeen.....

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

That's a great resource, tomjunior :)

Amazing to see how the altitude of the mountain ranges affects the climate. Thanks for sharing :)

Abs

Nantwich, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
50. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Take the beagle.