We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

Dungannon, N Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

I have to drive from Aberdeen docks to Crainryan docks what is my best route wouldnt be very experienced driving in heavy traffic.

Any sugguestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Jane

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

theaa.com/route-planner/…7C568590

Have a look at the AA Route Planner which gives you the route and time it will take.

It's a straightforward journey,just remember you cross Glasgow on the M8 and then switch to the M77.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,413 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

Just so you get it right its Cairnryan where the ferry to Belfast leaves. Before you get to Glasgow take the M73 the new M74 southern Glasgow ring then the M77. That will avoid any traffic through the city centre. If its outside peak hours then it probably won't matter that much though.

Basically Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth, Stirling, Glasgow, then keep on the M77/A77 until you get to Cairnryan. Its a pretty easy drive with dual carriagewaw/motorway from Aberdeen to Ayr. Just the last bit is single carriageway.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

Allow extra time for this last part of the journey it has always seemed the longest to us. Get stuck behind a couple of caravans a tractor, or lorries going to the ferries it's murder. there are a couple of pasing places on the road from Portpatrick to Cairnryan but not enough. We were really pleased when the Troon to N.Ireland ferry started up. I have to admit I hated that long single track road to Stranraer or Cairnryan.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

I'd second the suggestion to go M73- M74- M77 as this avoids Kingston Bridge and M8 through central Glasgow. I always use this route whether peak time or not as the M8 is like Whacky Races.

The road from Ayr to Cairnryan is single carriageway (not single track). It can be frustrating if you get stuck behind slow traffic but it's fine if you're not in a hurry. It's quite scenic from Turnberry onwards, I enjoy driving it.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

I should imagine you would quite like this road if you are only coming from Glasgow it would be very scenic after a short journey. Coming from Aberdeen it's the last part of the trip and can be a right pain. I know, did this journey for 30 years. Glad to ditch it and go to Troon. Post 2 did say it was Single Carriageway, there are parts where you can pass i.e. Dual Carriageway, but only in a few places.

Dungannon, N Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

Thanks these replys have been a great help, Where exactly do I join the M73?

Thanks

Jane

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

Got to agree with everyone advising to use the M73 option, if you aren't an experienced driver or used to the M8 then the kingston bridge is a bit terrifying. If your coming from Aberdeen then come down past Perth and Stirling joing up with the M80. Then from there there is a direct cut off to join up with the M73 just after Cumbernauld.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

When you approach the end of the M73 where it joins the M74 make sure you follow signs for "M74 (Glasgow SE)" and get into the outside lane marked "M74 North".

Dungannon, N Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

Thanks to everyone this advice has been very helpful

Jane

10. Re: Driving from aberdeen to crainryan docks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2013, 10:23
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen
Recent Conversations