We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few hours in Aberdeen

worcestershire
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A few hours in Aberdeen

We are flying to Aberdeen from Kirkwall, landing 11.20 and fly on to Manchester 14.35 - wonder if we would have time to see a bit of Aberdeen. Not much time after check out and check in.

Perhaps we could have a bit of lunch in town but wonder if there is a tour bus or anything like that so we could have a look around.

Any ideas ?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

Not sure about tour buses ... your best bet might be to book a taxi/ driver to drive past a couple of worthwhile sights, and give you a flavour of the city.

But I'm not convinced, given the distance to the airport and then time to clear security, that it will be worthwhile overall.

worcestershire
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

Thanks Mary - I think you are right. This was the last part of a complicated trip to North Ronaldsay, trying to sort trains, boats and planes (literally). I agree - we have a very little time - looking at a later flight, that may be possible for the last leg..... so we would have a bit more time in Aberdeen

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

The roads between the airport and city centre snarl up regularly, not worth risking it IMO. The Hadagaun roundabout can be a nightmare at times.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

The above advice seems a bit unambitious to me. Why not just hop on the Jet 727 Stagecoach bus and head into the city centre, staying on the same bus for the return journey if necessary? There are bus lanes to ease past the Haudagain both ways. You might even have time for a wander round Union Square shopping centre which is right beside the bus station.

www.stagecoachbus.com/Bluebird%20Jet.aspx

worcestershire
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

That sounds good. Realise just how little time we have - am looking at a later flight from Aberdeen to Manchester. A complicated trip to North Ronaldsay involving trains, boats and planes - yes all in the plural.....

Many thanks.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

I agree a Jet bus is a good idea as one of the quickest methods of getting into town, because the special bus lanes prevent the bus getting so tangled up in the terribe Abdn traffic, BUT as it stands, you absolutely do not have time!

Assume there are no delays in your inbound flight and that your luggage is checked straight through (is it?), it is still going to be nearer noon before you clear the airport and get yourself on a bus. The journey takes just over half an hour -so that's getting on for 12.30.

You would have to leave town again, absolutely no later than 1pm to be back in the airport one hour before your next flight. Certainly, I would never risk leaving as late as 1pm -any delay on the road and you miss your flight!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

I have a hunch the OP is more adventurous than worrisome, while the journey may well be feasible and also preferable to hanging around an airport for the best part of three hours.

Assuming Monday to Friday, catch the 12:00 service at the bus shelter 30 seconds' walk from the airport front entrance, arrive at Union Square JET stance at 12:28. Stay on that bus and be back at the airport for 13:10, or board the 13:00 or, at a pinch, 13:20 service to be back at 13:30 or 13:50 respectively.

worcestershire
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

Thank you so much. Posted the question at the end of a long session sorting out a trip to North Ronaldsay - trains, boats and planes. Trying to sort of out a later plane from Aberdeen so we can spend a bit more time. At the time I asked the question had not realised how little time we had..

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

Even getting a later flight you aren't exactly leaving much time to see much of the city!

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few hours in Aberdeen

Unless you can change to a later flight I would stay put in the airport. I would be a bag a nerves knowing that the least little traffic bump can bring Aberdeen to a complete standstill.