We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitkens Bakery

Brighton UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Aitkens Bakery

Could you tell me where the nearest Aitkens shop is. Going from Stonehaven to Peterculter ?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,720 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aitkens Bakery

If you are gong by car, just Google "Aitkens Bakery Aberdeen" This gives you the branches in Aberdeen and a map, so you can use the map to find your nearest Bakery en route.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aitkens Bakery

The one in Glenbervie Road, Torry is your easiest to get to with a car. There are another 3 branches in the city but unless going very early in the morning, they are difficult to get parked nearby.

Here is the address with postode so you can programme your Sat Nav:

43 Glenbervie Rd, Aberdeen, AB11 9JE

Ask for crispy rowies, they taste finer! ;)

Brighton UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aitkens Bakery

Thankyou so much. That was the next queston I was going to ask.

What sort of parking do they have ?

Looking forward to The Aberdeen Delicacy !! It will certainly be the Crispy ones I.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aitkens Bakery

They are all street parking but that one I mentioned above is the easiest to get parked at because its not a busy (in comparison) street. There is one in Menzies Road but parking is a nightmare and its one-way too so you could end up having to go round in circles a few times! Holburn Street is a very busy street and very limited parking round about and the John Street branch is really going out of your way.

You have to buy some 'softies' too! They are bread rolls but are not hard baked hence called softies!

Edited: 17 April 2013, 17:16
Brighton UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aitkens Bakery

Thanks ne-quine. Looking forward to buying both when we venture North of the Border in June. The Torry shop sounds best for us as we will be coming by car .

Thanks very much for your help.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aitkens Bakery

It will be and why I directed you to it first rather than the other shops.

Another place where you could try some great rowies is the Old Town Baker in Stonehaven. A previous co-worker came from Stoney and every Friday (when it was rowie day at work) she'd nip into the baker for 2 rolls to take into work. I have to say they were rather tasty (especially the crispy ones!) and were much better and tastier than the pale things the school got from the local bakery (not Aitkens!) ;)

Enjoy your trip to the North East and the rowies/softies! :)

Edited: 19 April 2013, 06:27
Brighton UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aitkens Bakery

Sorry, can't find The Old Town Baker in Stonehaven in Google. Is it Robertson's ?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aitkens Bakery

First I realised I should have spelt it in Scots, Auld Toon Baker, but on searching it would appear it was bought over and is now sadly closed.

So its to Aitkens then for the rowies/softies!

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aitkens Bakery

I can only endorse the above - rowies are good but Aitken's crispy rowies are world class. The Aitken's in Holburn Street shuts early-to-mid afternoon, so the others might be the same. There are some newsagents / shops sell Aitken's Bakery products, I know of one in Holburn Street & one in Kings Street, but parking would be a difficult at both. It might be worth trying Aitken's office to see if they can give you a list of these outlets. Enjoy the rowies, they are totally unique.

(As an aside if you are passing thro' Cults on your way to Peterculter stop at Kelly's and get one of their Steak pies).

Brighton UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aitkens Bakery

Thankyou Gentleman Jim. We are coming from the South up to Forfar in the caravan and intend to visit Aberdeen for the day. Will make certain that we get to the shop in Torry in time. Will give them a ring to order before we go.Will also stop at Kellys for a meat pie.

Not long to go (end of June) till we sink our teeth into the crispy Rowies. On our way back will stop for fish & chips on the beachfront in Stonehaven. Heaven !!