We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much for one day?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Too much for one day?

Hello all,

Do you think it would be a feasible thing to do the following in one day?

Starting Aberdeen, morning visit (ie before the attractions open) to Forvie NNR including a walk, then to Pitmedden Garden. On for a quick visit to RSPB Loch of Strathbeg then into Fraserburgh for the Lighthouse Museum and Heritage Centre. This route conveniently takes us through some spots where forebears lived or where born which is a bonus.

It would be highly desirable to end this day up at Grantown on Spey or Aviemore, to be in position for a wildlife tour with Speyside wildlife or a Reindeer trek early the next day. Google tells me that this is about 4 hrs driving all up, about 2 hrs from Fraserburgh to Grantown-on-Spey. Obviously we could quit whatever we're doing if we run out of time. I just want to check with you guys who know the area if you think this amount of driving is totally barking mad. It's only an extra hour over what it would be to head back to Aberdeen, so I'm hoping a slightly longer tour in the evening won't be a problem given the time of year - which is August. I'm expecting this to be on a week day. We've got two drivers.

What do you think?

Edited: 05 April 2014, 01:49
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Too much for one day?

Sounds like the development plan must be very controversial, being in such a prominent position. Also sounds like Slains Castle won't consume a heck of a lot of time and is likely incidental to other things we may do in that area. ... a plus haha.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Too much for one day?

Actually, I don't think the Slains development is very controversial now, there have been so many plans announced over the years which have come to nothing!

There are two Rathen Churches- East and West, google and you'll find plenty info on both. East is a few miles off the main road near Fraserburgh, West is just a few yards from the main road.

The Tufted Duck Hotel near Fraserburgh is very nice if you fancy spending the last night outwith Aberdeen.

I'm scared to mention this in case I confuse you more but if you are heading from Fraserburgh to Macduff, there is a beautiful drive up the coast, with some nice stops. From Fraserburgh, head to Sandhaven, Rosehearty, New Aberdour, Pennan, Gardenstown, Macduff, Portsoy, Cullen then cut across to head to Grantown on Spey.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Too much for one day?

Thanks Heidotheroad,

I love the name of the Tufted Duck Hotel :-) And almost everyone is unanimous that it's a great place to stay. Definitely on the short list!

Thanks for the info about the Rathen churches I will google them.

I appreciate you letting me know about the scenic route. Even if we don't get to take it, it's interesting to know about it. One of the best things about planning a trip is learning about the destination. :-)

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Too much for one day?

You'd enjoy the drive with a stop at New Aberdour Beach to explore the caves, another in Pennan (google Local Hero film), another at Macduff Aquarium, lunch at Cullen for Cullen Skink soup followed by an icecream as you stroll along the beach, and a walk round Portsoy Harbour and a nice coffee stop........ aah, but that's another day you have to add to your itinerary.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Too much for one day?

I always took the scenic route to Elgin. So agree the coastal route is very nice There is an old church in Cullen which is now an Antiques Centre with lots of dealers in there. They also do a lovely lunch all freshly made by the two ladies in there. A run up passing Elgin and onto Auldearn is good as there is a great Antique place there which is an old Church and Manse with antiques in the church then down to the courtyard of the steadings(barns) where each door has more goodies. This was the place that was featured on an Antiques T.V. programme a couple of years ago. A Staffordshire Elephant was bought for £7.00 and sold at Auction for £4,000. Auldearn has lots of celebrity customers including Tlida Swinton.

I think you might guess I am an Antiques Dealer.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 20:09
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Too much for one day?

FJ, stop.... we know Snodge is pushed for time already!!!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Too much for one day?

Can't help it. There is so much to see in do in Aberdeenshire and it's perimeters. It always hacks me off when all the visitors want to go to well trodden Scottish tourist traps and miss some of the really undiscovered places in Scotland...

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Too much for one day?

haha..and there's the Scottish Dolphin Centre and not far from Elgin is Lossiemouth... haha Lossiemouth has what must be one of the most welcoming videos online encourging people to visit them, totally charming.. haha oh dear, we'd better do a risk assessment on all those antique centres.. sounds like it could imperil our holiday budget. :-0 We got a bit enthusiastic buying Tunbridge Ware at the Edenbridge Antique Centre (my one and only convict ancestor was from the Tunbridge Wells area).

What would be the traditional souvenir from Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Too much for one day?

One to start- bothy ballads - abdn.ac.uk/elphinstone/…

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Too much for one day?

There is a big crafting community in Aberdeenshire and lots of lovely items can be bought at the local Craft Fairs. If you ask nearer the time I will try and let you know if any are on during your visit. We were at one a couple of weeks ago at Aden Park, Mintlaw. At the same time the fair was on, there were also real owls being showed on the arms of their keepers. We were right next to them stroking them it was really interesting and we bought a few items from the fair including a lovely hand made bead bracelet for my Granddaughter for only £4.00. All the crafters have cards and leaflets and will tell you all about the things they make. So, jewellery, cards, knitted items, jams and spreads, toys, ornaments.. you name it, you can buy it.

For Antique items, there was a Pottery in Aberdeenshire called the Seaton Pottery, the only Aberdeenshire Pottery. It has long gone, but there are many collectors for the old Seaton Pottery. The collectable items usually are dated around 1880-90. Charming pieces, some of the meal barrels have names and dates. In those days the future Mother in Law would go to the Pottery and get a piece made for her future Daughter in Law. So the pieces have on the front i.e. Mrs Buchan, 1883 etc., The Rendezvous Gallery in Aberdeen and the Museum usually have displays of Seaton. I had a lot of Australian and American customers who used to buy it, if it had the same family name as their ancestors.