We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland

Duluth, Minnesota
11 posts
Save Topic
Scotland

I am planning a trip to Scotland next year for the month of April and I would like to stay in a holiday rental that is on the coast and within a village that has a variety of pubs. I would like to be able to go out to a pub in the evening to listen to music, have a few pints and be able to walk back to the rental. I have looked at numerous places, but I would love some input. One nice place I looked at is located in Burtisland. Anyone have any advise for me?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,039 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland

>>One nice place I looked at is located in Burtisland<

Oh dear no. I am sure we can find you many nicer places Buntisland. Thing is you have posted on the Aberdeen forum but mentioned a place nowhere near Aberdeen so perhaps you could be a bit more specific. Also titling a post Scotland is not that great an idea. Hardly gives people a clue as to what your post is asking.

Maybe somewhere like Anstruther (pronounced An'strur) would be nicer but you would have to check on the live music/pub thing. Have you considered St Andrews? maybe also North Berwick or Eyemouth.

Duluth, Minnesota
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland

Thank you for all the information. I am rather new at this. I did find a very nice cottage in Anstruther also, and will absolutely check out St. Andrews, North Berwick and Eyemouth. I am on a budget (traveling alone) so what I am looking for is a one bedroom or studio cottage/apartment of which there are numerous options. I was in the lower UK last April but in the rural countryside and missed out on being able to go to a pub talk with people and to listen to local music. This time as I am staying for a month I would love the opportunity to experience as much as I am able to. I will also have a car rental of which I plan on traveling around Scotland with day trips plus a few over night trips to further locations within your country. All sugestions are very welcome!! Again, thank you, Janice

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland

What is your budget, in pounds, per week or per complete month? Do you want to find a flat in one location for four weeks or would you consider booking a place for two weeks then moving to new digs for the latter half of your holiday? Will you hire a car for the entire month's stay or use local transport, trains and Citylink coaches for some journeys?

4. Re: Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 14:35
Duluth, Minnesota
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland

My budget is flexible depending on the rental amenities and location. A range of 240 to 350 pounds per week. I am more inclined towards a costal location in a small to medium size village (a good location inland is fine also). I want to be a bit more central and approximately 1-1 1/2 hours from Edinburgh because that is where I will be fiying into and out of. I will rent a car for the entire time I am there even if I do utilize the railway system for convenience on occasion. I have been researching both cottages and flats with parking allocation, and a bath (with or without shower) is also a plus. I love music so I want an area that will give me the opportunity to go out and listen to music within walking distance, also I love hiking, castles, the small out of the way areas to discover and explore. I am open to hearing all suggestions and places not to be missed. I appreaciate everyones input. Thank you! Janice

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,591 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland

Have you considered Perth or Perthshire , not really coastal, but very central and on the railway.

Crathie
Level Contributor
903 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland

Can I suggest Glenernan Self Catering, Ballater as an option for you to look at http://www.glenernan.co.uk/ there are two units ideally suited for one or two people, but no more. I am not affiliated with the place in any way, but I know of it and think it might suit you. If you are visiting Scotland for a month, you could do worse than spend a week of that in Ballater. It’s about 2.5 hours drive away from Edinburgh, so a bit more travel time than you wanted, but not very much. There are a number of places for you to eat out in during the evening and some have live music and other events going on.

Ballater is not situated on the coast, however it is well located for day trips to castles, whisky distilleries and great countryside walks. Have a look at these sites for more information.

http://www.visitballater.com/

http://www.ballatercommunity.com/

http://visitroyaldeeside.com/

http://www.royal-deeside.org.uk/index.htm

That said the coast is not far away and it is perfectly possible to drive to Stonehaven to visit the stunning Dunnottar Castle or even go up as far as Inverness for Culloden Battlefield and Loch Ness as day trips by car, or down to the beach at St Cyrus.

Ballater is on the castle trail so you can get all castled-out at your leisure

visitscotland.com/see-do/itineraries/castles…

There are also plenty of walks to be found in the area to suit varying levels of fitness

walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/ballater.shtml

and there are many out of the way places such as Burn O’Vat, the Linn of Dee and the Linn of Quoich to visit during your time.

Hope this helps and if I can be of further help then send me a private message.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland

Cheese for brains !! So Sorry !

As lovely as Portree is, I did mean to suggest PLOCTON, not Portree. The music school is near there I believe. It's a beautiful village, on the water, often seen in paintings and drawings as I have several. The restaurants are nice and the pubs lively with music. The drives around this area are breathtaking !

So sorry for the error!

Cheers!

Sunny

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotland

PS - See Plocton.com

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert