We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September trip

Torshavn
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
September trip

Well, we think of taking a trip to Scotland in September and I find some nice B&B's in Oban's and Loch Lomond's area. I would like to ask for some reccomendations in terms of what one can see in Argyll, in terms of historical sites, cultural stuff, special places. No matter how far, we are quite willing to drive if there is something worth seeing.

Another thing I want to ask is if Isle of Mull is worth visiting, as the ferry is stinking expensive (£87 for two plus a car, both ways). I know it exists also a ferry from Lochaline, cheaper and which doesn't require previous booking, but I have no clue how busy it is during the week. Some advice here will be highly appreciated.

Are there any nice beaches on the western coast? Love to see the sea (for an islander, even adopted, it is part of our lives :D ) and I really would enjoy feeling some sand underneath my feet, even though it is not warm.

Last, but not least, how is usually the weather in September? We've been to Scotland 5 years ago and at that time, we've been extremyl lucky. We had sun and almost 30C for almost a week (even in those few days spent on Isle of Lewis and Harris), but I don't delude myself it will happen twice.

Thank you!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,796 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September trip

Hi,

If you can't book the ferry, that means you just turn up and wait (queue). The ferries that do this are usually quiet and remote, and even if there are cars in front of you, it is a pleasure to sit and wait in those special parts of Scotland....

Places to see - Kilmartin and the Crinan Canal; Inverarary; Cowal Peninsula.

Harris is probably best for beaches. But there are so many........

30C? - now, now, don't exaggerate. You will have people asking for air-conditioning next!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September trip

Re beaches, do you mean the western coast of Mull or of the whole of Scotland? In either case, the answer is yes! Loads up the west coast of Scotland. On Mull, Calgary Beach is a gem. But in September you won't be sunbathing on the beach for long!

Torshavn
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September trip

Peterscot, well, in August 2008 there were exactly 30C. It is something I hardly forget, exactly because we were told it was very unusual to be so hot in August, in the Outer Hebrides. I even had to buy cloths, because I didn't come prepared for something like that. Not only, but I even went into the water on beaches like the one from Traig Uig (which is at the Atlantic Ocean, by the way).

Dhmellor, I was thinking more about the west coast, I am not sure if we will make it to Mull. Not for £87 pund for a return ticket. Renting a car for a week costs £100 for God's sake! And I thought that the ferry in Faroe Islands is expensive .... I don't have illusions I will sunbathe, not at all. But any weather will be better than what we have up here. And to be honest, for a person who grew up with vacations at the Black Sea, I miss real beaches ...

Edited: 01 July 2013, 09:13
Torshavn
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September trip

Thank you both for the replies. Have a great day.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September trip

If you are not going to Mull, then you might head for Morar, near Mallaig, for some great beaches.

Torshavn
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September trip

Had a look, wonderful places! Thank you.

By the way, is there any specific place you woud reccomend for a "base camp" while visiting around? I thought of Oban or in the "neighbourhood" because of the ferry. I'd really like quiet places, even remote as long as we can drive and buy our groceries or what ever somewhere close.

Are there any interesting castles, even if they are ruined? Except Eilean Donan Castle (which we already saw) or the one from Stirling (where I intend anyway to go).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,796 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September trip

Skipness Castle.

Hunt down the family of beavers (imported from Norway!) in Argyll.....

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September trip

Kilchurn Castle, on the way to Oban: tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g551927…

And how about Camusdarach Beach, Arisaig: tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g551964…

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September trip

Lochaline - Mallaig is a lovely remote route. Can't say how busy it'll be given I have only used it a couple of times, but the chances are good compared with the Oban ferry. Wait for local advice. Some beautiful lochs and the odd castle or two.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September trip

I think Derek means the Lochaline - FIshnish ferry?.

Get answers to your questions about Argyll and Bute