We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Scenic route

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Most Scenic route

We will be coming off the ferry at Kennacraig and driving to Campbeltown, I see there are two routes, A83 and A842, I realize it's a short drive, but which is the most scenic? Want to make the most of every minute. Thanks.

26 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Scenic route

They are quite different, but both are scenic in their different ways. Bear in mind that whilst the A83 is a proper main road, on which you will travel at a reasonable speed, the other road is single track for quite a lot of its length, so it may be relatively slow going.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Scenic route

Where are you going after Campbelltown?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Scenic route

After two nights in Campbeltown, (ancestors are from Southend) we are driving back to Glasgow airport, and flying to Belfast. NI for a week, then a few days in Glasgow before flying home.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Scenic route

In that case, at the risk of stating the obvious, you can use one route on the way there, and another on the way back. By the way, if it's of any interest, there is a (rather infrequent) car ferry between Campbeltown and Ardrossan in Ayrshire, and you could go that way to Glasgow, if the timings work for you. See www.calmac.co.uk.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Scenic route

Thanks, I will look into the ferry, yes I can do one way there and the other back:) You do tend to get a little pedantic when planning a trip like this. Every detail becomes important LOL Only 9 weeks today!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Scenic route

Ferry doesn't run on Mondays, would have been nice.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Scenic route

Check Calmac again. There are at least another 2 routes that you can do, if you want scenery.....

You could go via Claonaig to Lochranza on Arran, and then from Brodick to Ardrossan, about 20 miles from Glasgow. Arran is known as "Scotland in Miniature".

The other, quieter route is via the remote Cowal peninsula. Ferry from Tarbert. Very scenic - single-track roads. Either take another ferry from Dunoon, or join the main road at the Rest and Be Thankful pass, and then south via Loch Lomondside. (or another 2 ferries via the Isle of Bute).

You could also

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Tarbert
Tarbert
Kintyre Peninsula, UK
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Scenic route

I'd go for a more relaxing route back and go up the A83 passing or stopping at beautiful white sand beaches with seals basking, leave the car and take the ferry from Tayinloan to small island Gigha which won't take so long to see. 25mins crossing time.

www.lovescottishislands.com/gigha/4541035352

Then drive up the side of the Loch to Tarbert past the salmon farms. Carry on through the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park. The drive is beautiful with small coastal towns, moorland and stunning scenery. You can stop and explore in several places giving you a feel for Scotland.

While you are in Campbelltown take the drive on the beautiful Mull of Kyntyre and look at Ireland from there. It is single track so be sure you can reverse.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 22:19
Mentioned in this post
Tayinloan
Tayinloan
Kintyre Peninsula, UK
Tarbert
Tarbert
Kintyre Peninsula, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Scenic route

Thanks for the great suggestions, sounds like there won't be a shortage of great scenery. Don't see too many basking seals on the Great Lakes.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Scenic route

I've seen seals here in the harbour and on the Kintyre Peninsula many times. They never cease to have me mesmerised & smiling. Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Kintyre Peninsula
Kintyre Peninsula
Argyll and Bute, UK
Reply to: Most Scenic route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Campbeltown