We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Scenic route

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Most Scenic route

We will be coming off the ferry at Kennacraig and driving to Campbeltown, I see there are two routes, A83 and A842, I realize it's a short drive, but which is the most scenic? Want to make the most of every minute. Thanks.

26 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Most Scenic route

The Campbeltown - Ardrossan ferry doesn't start its seasonal run until May - so too late in your case.

What time of day do you get off the ferry at Kennacraig? If it's the forenoon take the A842/ east coast of Kintyre road. Make sure to visit Carradale. You'll get lovely light on that side of the peninsula in the morning.

If you arrive in the evening, take the A83 to enjoy the fabulous sunsets over Gigha and Islay.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Most Scenic route

We get off the ferry at 17:25, so too early for sunset, thanks for the suggestions though. Will check out the sunsets while we are there. And will definitely visit Carradale, looks like my kind of place.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Most Scenic route

In that case I would definitely take the west coast road - the main A83. Perhaps too early for sunsets, but you'll still get fantastic light bouncing off the sea .... as long as the rain isn't doing that instead!

Leave the Carradale trip for a morning while you're in Kintyre. And enjoy Southend - where you must visit Muneroy tearoom. But you'll have been told that if you're meeting kin.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Most Scenic route

Actually kin left the area about 150 years ago, so don't know anyone, but I have ancestors buried in Keil cemetery, one of the main reasons for visiting. Can't wait to explore, I have always loved the sea. Thanks again for the great suggestions.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 18:36
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Most Scenic route

Those with ancestors who were laid to rest in Keil cemetery have one of the most peaceful places on earch to make that connection to previous generations. It's featured in a few films and TV series too, such is the beauty of the outlook it enjoys. Keep an eye out for the seals - lots of them usually - on the rocks beside the small parking area.

Mention in the shop/ tearoom who your ancestors were. Someone there might be able to point you in the direction of places and people who can help you on your genealogical trail.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Most Scenic route

Thank you, will definitely be looking for seals! and other wildlife.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Most Scenic route

Apologies if you have been and gone, but a trip to Davaar island is recommended ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davaar_Island

Plenty of seals in attendance. Check locally for the tide times as the "dorlin" or natural walk way dissappears for a time and you will be isolated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Most Scenic route

Thank you, will certainly look into that!, it takes 40 minutes to walk to the island, is that one way or there and back? Leave next week, getting ready to pack!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Most Scenic route

It depends on the state of the sand and shingle on the Dhorlin - the causeway that links the island to the mainland for a few low tide hours. So allow 30/40 minutes or so to get there - an hour or two to walk around/ have a picnic, then the same walking time back. Start off when the causeway appears as the tide goes out and you'll have plenty time.

Tide times and safe walking/visiting hours are displayed in the Tourist Information Office on the pier in the centre of Campbeltown.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Most Scenic route

Thanks! a picnic on the island sounds great, and seals as well :)

Reply to: Most Scenic route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Campbeltown