We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Scenic route

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Most Scenic route

We will be coming off the ferry at Kennacraig and driving to Campbeltown, I see there are two routes, A83 and A842, I realize it's a short drive, but which is the most scenic? Want to make the most of every minute. Thanks.

26 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Most Scenic route

How far is the start of the causeway from Campbeltown, can you drive there, (to the causeway) or do you have to walk all the way.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Most Scenic route

It's a significant distance, relative to the walk along the causeway itself. Google map says it's just over two miles. On a good day it could be quite interesting, with nice views and harbour-side paths for the first half. Towards the Dhorlin the road narrows and there's no pavement. For that reason, driving is often preferred.

That said, on some days it can be a wee bit tricky finding somewhere to park before you head over to Davaar. But at this time of year you should be fine. If you've got a car with you I think my judgement would be to drive, and spend the walking time on the island itself.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Most Scenic route

Yea we will have a car, checked Google earth and it looks like there is a small layby I think near the causeway, should be interesting. Thanks.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Most Scenic route

We've parked on the verge before. Just be mindful of agricultural access in the surrounding area and leave ample room. Remember a take a good flash camera for the caves.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Most Scenic route

Will do, thanks!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Most Scenic route

The layby is sometimes full, say in good weather, at a weekend.

Verge parking is an option, as Alfanumeric points out.

Get there in good time and you'll be fine.

Reply to: Most Scenic route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Campbeltown