We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

We'll be arriving at lunchtime in August as part of two CIE tour buses. That's about 90 tourists all vying for lunch at the same time. Where would you suggest we eat that may be a bit less crowded offering good, reasonably priced food? I have no idea where the buses will drop us off. Thanks for your help.

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,252 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

There are several places in the village, which is where I'm sure the coach will drop you off. I don't think we encountered any coach tours during out stay, so we didn't have any trouble finding a place to eat, but if its really busy, its a short walk down the road to the Loch Fyne Hotel, where we stayed, which has a restaurant. However, these coach tours don't usually give you much time, so I suspect you'll need to stay in the centre to eat.

I'd guess the coach will park at the Inverary Inn, but if you walk down towards the water and then along main street, you should find some options.

https://goo.gl/maps/urTYVm8nt4C2

https://goo.gl/maps/GHJzf6cU3xT2

From that second link, have a "walk" around the village, just to get a sense of the layout. It will make it a bit easier for you on arrival, everything will look familiar.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
2,646 Reviews
Inveraray, UK
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

The George is a great place to eat, but maybe your fellow travellers will head there too?

Mentioned in this post
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
1,389 Reviews
Inveraray, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

I would suggest the George Hotel.It may not be where many on the coach party make for unless they've done their homework but it will be busy with other tourists etc.The cafe at the Castle is reasonable too, but a 10 minute walk.

Mentioned in this post
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
1,389 Reviews
Inveraray, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

The George serves a brilliant fish and chips.

Tip: if the George Hotel is very busy, their wee spit and sawdust bar (entry alongside beer garden door) often has seating and also serves food. We used this bar when there was a half hour wait for tables in the main restaurant. Perhaps because we both ordered something simple (fish and chips) we got our meal within ten minutes.

Mentioned in this post
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
1,389 Reviews
Inveraray, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

If the weather is nice you could just buy sandwiches at the Co-op and have a picnic by the shore.

London
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

"buy sandwiches at the Co-op "

Note however that the new larger Coop is not in the main street, it's on the edge of the town to the west. Not too far to walk - but you won't find it without knowing where to look.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

If you'd like a picnic there are some lovely bakery type cafes and deli where you could get some takeaway deliciousness.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

Thanks for the replies. Where exactly is the Co-op located? Is it a grocery store? I tried googling it and nothing came up.

Scotland
Level Contributor
939 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds

Inveraray Co-op https:/…about

600m from the jail according to Google, but really 200m as there is a cut through (you can see this using Open Street Map, which is much better at showing footpaths). Unless the path has been closed by building the Co-op on top of it. It is a grocery store, the main one in town.

Mentioned in this post
Inveraray
Inveraray
Argyll and Bute, UK
Reply to: Best lunch spot to avoid bus crowds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Inveraray
Recent Conversations