We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inverary Castle is a Manor House

Which Inveraray hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Conestogo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inverary Castle is a Manor House

Do not be fooled by the name. Inverary Castle is not a castle...at least in the fortress sense. It is a big, old manor house. Those from Toronto, think of Casa Loma but not nearly as big, nor as nice.

We lost a lot of valuable time on our holiday in expectations that were unfulfilled with this place. It is a very nice manor home (of which only a portion can be visited) in a pretty setting. If that is what you are looking for it is very worthwhile.

If you are looking for an thinking of a traditional castle - don't bother. No battlements, no moats, no fortress walls. One armaments room where I got the feeling that the weapons were always used as decorations rather than as instruments of war.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

Well, you could say that about any number of places. The fact is that it is called Inverary Castle. I don't think there is any attempt to "fool" anyone.

Knowing that we have been building castles in the UK for several thousand years, (eg Maiden Castle) it should be obvious that they would have evolved over the centuries.

If you only want to see specific castle-types of a specific period, then, yes, it pays to check what the castle looks like before you go.

There has been no need for fortified castles in the UK for over 300 years, so many have been turned into palatial homes. However, as they were the seats of the local Lord and (in Scotland) Clan Chief, they retained the name "castle". It wouldn't make sense to change it to "Manor House MacSween", for example, after 400 years of being called a castle. Culzean Castle is another prime example. "Culzean Country House" doesn't have the same ring. People don't flock to Culzean expecting moats and drawbridges. Its a great example of the Adam brothers' architecture.

Fortified castles were cold and damp. Why would people preserve them like that if there was no need? People nowadays want windows and heating in their homes. Just ask our Queen - she has several castles.....

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

I agree with peterscot ...... here are a couple of web sites that cover all sorts of castles:

www.castlexplorer.co.uk

www.castleuk.net/

It's easy and fun to check them out ahead of time so you know what you are going to actually see.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

Manor House is not a phrase that I would expect to hear in regards to a Scottish house...

You could say the same about Scone Palace - no battlements, no moat but a link to centuries of Scottish history that cannot be ignored - a lot of the old castles were upgraded to be more comfortable as they were family homes and new ones built to replace uncomfortable and damp old ones.

I am sorry you were disappointed but Inverary itself is set in some of the most beautiful scenery and hopefullly that was some consolation.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

I love Inverary Castle and so does my daughter - a real princess fairy tale castle!

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

I think peterscot has it about right and this sounds like a case of Caveat Emptor.

I looked at the excellent website for Inveraray Castle and it is quite clear that you do not get to see inside all the rooms. It is the same for Glamis Castle too - the families who own such places retain some rooms for their personal use.

As for armamants, it is my understanding that after the Battle of Culloden lots of Scottish weapons were destroyed so there won't be many left today.

There are hundreds of castles in Scotland and some do not look like castles at all - not if you are expecting something like Edinburgh, Warwick or Caernarvon Castles. Corgarff Castle is a short drive from here and as castles go it is tiny. It is little more than a fortified tower with a star shaped wall round it, but it's still called a castle.

Lots of castles in Scotland owe their design more to the Scottish Baronial style of architecture than anything else. I think the trend was set by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert when the "new" Balmoral Castle was built in the 1850's. What was there before was the original Scottish tower house which had been added on to over the centuries.

Victoria and Albert had no need for fortifications at Balmoral. They just wanted country living and the rest of the nobility followed suit.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

Cacveat emptor strikes again: personally I liked Inverary Castle, and Inverary jail museum even more. the fact that it doesn't look like something out of a battle doesn't mean it 's not a castle.

If you want something with four towers and a moat, go to Bodiam in Sussex, what my mother used to call 'the most castley castle in Britain'.

scotland
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

Inveraray Castle is the duke and duchess of Argyll's home. I think they are perfectly entitled to have some privacy from the thousands of tourists who flock to the castle every year. As for it not being a "traditional" castle, beggars belief you even said this!!?? How about giving the duke prior notice to the next time you visit, they could hollywood it up for you, maybe even pain their faces blue, would this be suffice?? :-)

St. Andrews...
Level Contributor
152 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

Had to laugh at this post - it is meant to be funny isn't it???!

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

Sadly I don't think the original post was meant to be funny. Someone's expectations were not met ...........

Conestogo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Inverary Castle is a Manor House

I am the original author.

The original post was not at all critical of the place.

Sad that some felt it necessary to levy personal attacks. No need to paint one's face blue or be desperately sarcastic.

I believe that comparing it to a manor house (the "main house" on an estate") is and remains factually accurate.

The common dictionary definition of a castle is along the lines of "a large fortified building or group of buildings, typically of the medieval period." Inferring that it was not a traditional castle, also was and remains factually accurate.

Inverary was and is a nice place. Never said it wasn't.

I stand by the original posting.

Get answers to your questions about Inveraray
Recent Conversations