We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darts and Paddy's Day

Which Oban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Darts and Paddy's Day

We are planning to be in Oban in mid-March and was wondering if any pubs have any events planned for St. Patrick's Day? We also enjoy a game of darts while we sip our pints and would like to know which pubs have the best darts setup. Cheers

London
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

As as sweeping generalisation (with all the pitfalls of a sweeping generalisation), I get the impression that St Patricks day is treated as an excuse for a party across many parts of the United States, no matter what ethnic background or religion you are.

It would be a mistake to assume the same applies in many parts of the United Kingdom. Especially in parts of the UK (some parts of north west England, some parts of Scotland) where there has been historic tension between those with an Orange tradition versus those of an Irish background.

There will be a few pubs where St Paddys will absolutely not be celebrated.

Use normal common sense and I am sure you will be fine.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

Why would Scotland (patron saint St Andrew) want to celebrate the Saint's day of another country?

Getting drunk on "Paddy's Day" is an American invention as is the truly horrible "Paddy's Day" itself

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

Az Celt

Nobody seems to be answering your question here. St Patrick's Day in Oban wouldn't really be regarded differently from any other day up here. If any of them do, it would most likely be O'Donnells Bar or The Hydro. I'm sure you will be able to find out when you're here(Oban ain't that big!) However, you are well served for darts as most of the local pubs participate in a local darts league so there are boards in most of the bars. Personally, I would recommend Aulay's Bar.

Hope this is useful.

Tucson
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

Thanks Crazyhorse great information on the holiday pub and darts. Wow we have not even arrived yet and I already feel the tension between the different religious factions. It's a pity these deep rooted feuds continue. Welcome to Scotland. We’ve celebrated St. Patrick’s Day in Tucson, New York, Frankfurt and even Seoul. I thought there might be a pub in Oban with a good atmosphere. I’m sorry I opened a can of worms with my question. It reminds me of the atmosphere we experienced when we attended a Celtic-Ranger match a couple of decades ago in Glasgow around hogmanay. Cheers

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

<<It reminds me of the atmosphere we experienced when we attended a Celtic-Ranger match a couple of decades ago in Glasgow around hogmanay.>>

You're getting warmer.

Tucson
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

Yes it's all coming back to me now like the Falls Road in Belfast. Hmm this may require a change of plans as we don't go on vacation to experience "historic tension" Thanks for the heads up. Cheers

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

Az Celt

These contributors are misleading you. Oban doesn't suffer form any of the nonsense that goes on elsewhere. Celtic and Rangers co-exist here without any problems. You'll enjoy the Oban pubs I'm pretty sure.

paisley
Level Contributor
364 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

the only irish pub i know off in oban is o'donnells so try there.

Tucson
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

Thanks for the information we have no worries now. I was also wondering if there is a exercise facility that sells guest passes in Oban. Were looking for a place that has stationary bikes or elliptical trainers where we can sweat out a few pints before topping up again if it is possible.

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Darts and Paddy's Day

AzCelt

There are two gym's in Oban that have these facilities. One is at Atlantis Leisure Sports Centre and the other is Energie Leisure Club. Both of these, I understand, you can pay for a single session.

Get answers to your questions about Oban