We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oban hogmanay street party canceled

paisley
Level Contributor
364 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
oban hogmanay street party canceled

Just heard that the hogmanay street party has been canceled,i was really looking forward to it as last years party was excellent. The organizers have made other arrangements but i think i will just have my full refund.Will the pubs be opened longer that usual now.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: oban hogmanay street party canceled

Is that because the BBC are doing something there on NYE

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oban hogmanay street party canceled

Unless the BBC are organising an alternative event then I can't see that this would be cause for the party to be cancelled.

Mind you I do recall that the BBC got blamed when the Edinburgh Hogmanay shindig was cancelled years ago.

It was in fact cancelled because of adverse weather conditions

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
102 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oban hogmanay street party canceled

The street party has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales locally. The organisers have tried to cover this by arranging for Donnie Munro to play The Corran Halls and Skerryvore to play The Skipinnish Ceilidh House. It is a pity when a lot of effort and organisation goes in to an event that the town folk won't support it in sufficient numbers to make it viable. Those same folk will be the ones who will moan next year when there is nothing on.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: oban hogmanay street party canceled

http://www.obanhogmanay.co.uk/?p=61

A major concern is that BBC Television in the form of BBC Alba have decided to come to Oban and broadcast a live Hogmanay programme at the same time as the street party. We have made considerable effort meeting with the production company hired to produce the event hopeful that if both events were linked this would enhance the whole spectacle. However to date there has been no contact from the publicly funded BBC with the community run Oban Hogmanay.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oban hogmanay street party canceled

Genuinely sorry to hear that.

Surprised that the BBC have not replied - very shoddy.

Have you contacted the production company responsible for the show - sorry if that is obvious and a bit late now I suppose.

http://www.beesnees.tv/

6. Re: oban hogmanay street party canceled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Oban