We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance? Ferry?

Which Oban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Distance? Ferry?

Hello there!

We are planning a trip to Scotland in May 2012. The fiancé never went there ( I did quicky 8 years ago!).

We are going to a wedding in Yorkshire, might take the time to visit York, so we will have from May 15th to May 24th (plane back will probably be from Manchester, but Edinburg or Glasgow is also a possibility).

The Calmac website is down in the moment, but was wondering is there was a ferry between Mull and Skye?

From Edinburgh, we could rend a car and get to Oban. Was wondering it it will be beter to go to Mull for a day, and rely on public transport there, or take the car with us? (If there is a way to make Mull/Skye, might be interesting to take the car).

If you have any suggestions, ideas of trip or things not to be miss in the area, do not hesitate!

Thanks for all your help!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance? Ferry?

Calmac site is working now. Doesn't look as if there is a car ferry from Mull to Skye. Would recommend a trip to Mull and if it is just for a day a car would be highly recommended.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance? Ferry?

There is no fery from Mull to Skye.

Here is the Calmac route map

www.calmac.co.uk/destinations/route-map.htm

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance? Ferry?

You could take the ferry from Mull across to Kilchoan on the Adrnamurchan peninsular, and then drive up to Mallaig to take the ferry across to Armadale on Skye.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance? Ferry?

Thanks for your reply!

Wed site is working! It was probably maintenance at canadian evening time!

Would love to be able to also get to Islay, but then it might be an Island Trip and we will have to forget about Gairloch and Ullapool. ;)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance? Ferry?

The trip described in # 3 is a lovely remote drive.

Islay has a ferry to/from Oban, although it might be weekly. They mostly go from Kennacraig.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance? Ferry?

If you do drive from Kilchoan to Mallaig, it is worth making short detours to see the fantastic beaches at Sanna Bay (near Kilchoan) and Camusdarach (near Mallaig).

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance? Ferry?

Thanks a lot!

Looking at the malcam site, it seems interesting the day trip they offer, from Oban the tree Island, to Mull, Iona and Staffa (the caves seems amazing). Think we gonna go that.

Anyone one you know if its possible from Kennacraig if there is some sort of day excursion to Islay? Or if it is possible to visite around for a day with public transport?

Thanks a lot!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance? Ferry?

I don't think the public transport is that good on Islay, but I may be wrong. Also, the distilleries are not close together (they were illegal originally!). There are a couple of good tourism sites for Islay if you google.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Distance? Ferry?

As the ferry from Islay to Oban only run on the wednesday (rumor of maybe a new route in 2012...)

Think we will have to forget Islay.

But we will see Fingal's Caves ;)

Thanks a lot for your time, its veru nice of u!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Distance? Ferry?

hi there - sounds like a great trip you're planning!

I would highly recommend Mull as a place to visit - my husband and I have been twice - once for a day, and once to stay for the weekend. We stayed at the Highland Cottage B&B which was lovely. Mull has fantastic scenery and outdoorsy things to do and see.

If you have time - Iona is amazing. The drive across Mull to Fionnphort (think I've spelled that properly lol) where the ferry leaves for Iona is just beautiful. I would take the car for Mull, but Iona is just on foot.

Obviously the only thing that can't be guaranteed is the weather!! Fingers crossed for you though - hope you have a lovely time :)

Get answers to your questions about Oban