We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

Which Oban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

We will have 4 adults, traveling by train from Edinburgh who want to see more of Scotland. I would like to see some of the islands, especially Iona, but what else is there to see from Oban besides the islands?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

* Distillery (in Oban itself and in Tobermory on Mull)

* McCaig's Folly (above Oban)

* Walks, hikes, kayaking

* Relaxing

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

eating too. A couple of good restaurants in Oban.

I can personally recommend Ee-usk

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186501-…

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

Will you have a car?

How many days are you thinking of spending here?

There are two driving routes based o Oban here:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/index.html

Have a look at the map here and follow the links for ideas of places to go and things to see round Oban:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/argy…

There is some information here too:

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/oban/oban/

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

We had a wonderful boat trip on Loch Etive - well worth it for seeing beautiful scenery.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

Agree with walkingwithboots's suggestion about loch Etive, either by boat or walking. Lovely area.

Also the Scottish Sealife Sanctuary at Loch Creran, just north of Oban is really interesting:

http://www.sealsanctuary.co.uk/oban1.html

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

There is also the "Bridge across the Altantic" - a tiny bridge which is in a pretty area nearby.

Leics
Level Contributor
1 post
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

Are there any good, clear, waymarked walks out of Oban without using a car? I am looking for 3 days walks of approximately 10 - 11 miles plus 3 days of shorter walks of approx 5-6miles? If possible we'd prefer to use public transport or just walk straight out of Oban.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

I assume your intending day walks, starting and finishing at Oban (as opposed to using tents and/or bothies? That being the case, it's not that easy walking from Oban. To the west you've got the sea, although you may want to take a ferry to one of the islands? Loads of walking opportunities there. To the east, assuming you're staying near the centre of Oban, you've got a couple of kilometres to get out and even then, there are paths but mainly short ones, or minor roads. You'd probably want to take public transport to get you to the start of decent waymarked walks.

To the north east and east, there's Fearnoch forest which has nice forest walks and the whole area is a mixture of open hillside and forest, but no real classic walks... The Loch Nant area has some good walks that are probably waymarked now - there's been a lot of waymarking going on in Scotland over the past few years - but I can't confirm that.

I think your best bet would be to take public transport to places like Taynuilt, Dalmally or Barcaldine (for walks around Loch Etive, Loch Awe, Ben Cruachan, Glen Orchy, etc.) all of which should be easy to get to by public transport from Oban because they're all on major routes and relatively close.

If you want to go farther than that, your options are limitless, so maybe best to check this link out first:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/

Places like Fort William, Glen Coe, Kinlochleven, Tynedrum, although farther away, offer a much better selection of walks.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 17:56
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

I don't know how well marked it is, but one walk I hope to do this autumn is on the Isle of Kerrera. One walks from Oban down the Gallanach Road to the short ferry across to Kerrera. On the island is a six mile walk as listed in the pathfinder guide to Oban, Mull and Kintyre, walk 16.

Also one can evidently walk north from Oban on a bike path to Dunstaffnage Castle, which should be about a six mile, roundtrip walk.

Some years ago we walked down the Gallanach Road and took a left, away from Kerrrea. There was a nice path up the hill and through the bracken back to a town overlook in Oban. That was maybe four miles.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Oban other than the islands?

Find out the bus times and look southwards. There are many excellent villages and venues to visit south of Oban, all the way down to Kintyre. That would include the bridge over the atlantic at Seil.

There are also many potential walks by striking inland from the coastal road. You need a map. Look at www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/oban.shtml and choose a walk, look for 'view/print route map' and zoom in to each walk to see the detail. If you zoom in enough you'll see all the tracks and paths off the Ordnance Survey maps, even in not directly on the suggested route.