We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First class train ticket

Which Oban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First class train ticket

I'm having some difficulty figuring out if there even is such a thing as a 1st class train ticket from Glasgow to Oban. I've studied the help menus at ScotRail and the timetables and the advance ticket sales. I'm especially interested in getting a first class ticket from GLQ to OBN because we might have about three hours to wait at Queen Station between airport bus and outbound train. A first class ticket would allow us the use of the Millenium Hotel lounge.

Is there a first class? And how does one go about buying an advance ticket?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,201 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First class train ticket

Don't they use two carriage Sprinter trains (horrible little things!) on that route? If so then no first class.

Use www.nationalrail.co.uk to check train times and fares which will then redirect you to the local train operating company - First Scot Rail - to purchase your ticket.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First class train ticket

I don''t think there is 1st on those trains.AFAIK they are just two or three carriage sprinter trains.

Go get breakfst in the Counting House in George Square by the station if you want to kill time

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First class train ticket

Do you really need a lounge? You will be in the centre of a city, not a remote airport. Just find a nearby pub or restaurant to while away the time.

Edited: 13 June 2012, 20:23
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First class train ticket

Wouldn't you have use of the Millenium Hotel lounge simply by buying a drink or a cup of tea or coffee?

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First class train ticket

Personally in the UK even if there was a 1st class service on the train I wouldn't bother buying a ticket. You get on the same train and get there at the same time and if the train is late, then you loose out on more money. There are also some train companies experimenting by letting the normal ticket holders in first class areas as well. I wouldn't know if First Scot Rail is one of them, but its certainly the case down south.

What little extra service everyday trains claim to offer with a first class ticket, is really a rip-off, I seriously wouldn't bother. You'd have more choice of where to drink as well if you didn't have the ticket.

I'd save the money on the ticket, go for a normal fare (if there is a first class option) and spend the saving on finding somewhere really nice to eat or drink nearby. Or just people watch....

Have a great trip, that part of Scotand is absolutely stunning!

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First class train ticket

5. I disagree almost entirely, with virtually every word 5 typed. First class is often excellent value for money, on a network which is far too over crowded, and often a poor experience, made many times worse often in standard.

But on this journey, I dont think you can even buy a first class ticket. Certainly National Rail doesnt show any

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First class train ticket

I'm going to disagree again! But then we are allowed to. Having travelled to many different parts of the world and used public transport in 5 continents, I actually think we have an excellent public transport system, its just vastly overpriced. It would help if more trains ran on time as well.

P.S Try the Quiet Carriages available in some services (not this one) they're really not bad!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First class train ticket

Thanks, I think. The pub idea would be great. But the wait will be 8 a.m. until noon, probably. Breakfast is a good idea. Our plane gets in at 7 a.m. and a lot may depend on how fast we can get to City Centre. There is a train out at 8:20, which we will probably not make -- customs and rush hour and all that. And then the one at 12:20.

I was given an option of a Quiet Carriage when I started the ticket buying process.

London
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First class train ticket

The question was about this specific route. The answer is that the service is always operated by a "class 156" (they can't chop and change to other types - there is a particular type of radio signalling on this route, which these trains have been fitted with). These are two car (or in multiples of two car).

There is no first class on these trains.

London
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First class train ticket

It seems that whichever booking engine you are using has got some "generic" options built in for options that are available on other services. There is no "quiet carriage" on these trains on this route.

Get answers to your questions about Oban