We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

We are planning to stay near Crianlarich for 2 nights - wed and thurs. On the Wed we will be driving up from Carlisle and on the Fri we will be heading back to Glasgow at some point. Therefore we planned Thursday to be a day to head out to an island e.g. from Arisaig or more likely Oban. We would like a trip that gives us as much time as possible 'landed' on an Island. Is Mull the best option and can we get around using any form of public transport or would you suggest a different trip? Also...we are looking for scenery more than history if that helps! Many Thanks

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

Would you like a big island or small one? For the former have a look at calmac.co.uk/destinations/…from-oban.htm which is the CalMac site for Oban day trips but they might not give you the time on the island you want. There's loads of ferries to Mull from Oban but I don't know the public transport so will leave that to you to research.

If you want a small island that's nearby and would give you all day on it then have a look at Lismore http://www.isleoflismore.com/ It's located at the end of Loch Linnhe between Oban and Mull and if you don't want to take the car (which you can do from Oban) then there's a passenger only short ferry crossing (5 minutes) from Appin.

No public transport on the island apart from bike hire so its that or walking but it is a most lovely place with a real 'island' feel. The Lismore Cafe http://www.isleoflismorecafe.com/ is well worth a visit. Great for a days walking and exploring. The other small one which looks great, but I have not been on, is Kerrera - just across the sound from Oban.

No ferries that I know of from Arisaig but from Mallaig and Oban you should check out the CalMac website for times.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

Kerrera is a really beautiful island to explore. i lkied it better than Lismore because it is so much less developed. a circular walk round the island is a great way to spend a day

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

Kerrera and Lismore are close to Oban and both are good choices - Kerrera is smaller and very peaceful (no cars). Mull is equally close but big - you need to take a car across, or book a Bowman's coach trip.

As you will be there on a Thursday, you also have the option of a day trip to Coll or Tiree. See the Calmac website.

From Arisaig there are day trips to Eigg and Rum - highly recommended, although Arisaig is a much longer drive from Crianlarich. See www.arisaig.co.uk

Edited: 27 July 2012, 08:17
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

From Oban:

Mull is a big place and although there's public transports it's aimed at the needs of locals rather than tourists, so putting together a list of venues, and actually getting to see them in one day, are very different matters.

Coll is a much smaller size island - it's about beaches and wildlife. Tiree is impossible in one day due to ferry times, but a stay of a few hours on Coll is possible. Forget hills - beaches and sea and other islands.

From Mallaig

(If you might consider Arisaig then Maillaig is next door ...) you could consider the ferry to Mallaig - Eigg - Muck - Rum - Canna; this is essentially a ferry trip and some beautiful scenery with little change to spend time ashore. (Not quite true because on some days of the week you could get off at Rum have a lunch/short afternoon ashore and pick up the ferry on its return. Some days it doesn't return)

Flexible

www.boatwildlifeoban.co.uk/cruises.html

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

Both Coll and Tiree can be visited in a day trip, but only on Thursdays.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,493 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

We recently went to Lismore from Port Appin and hired bicycles (on the mainland) for the day. The island is beautiful and much bigger than you realise looking over from the mainland but it was very quiet and lots of places to stop and enjoy the view or take a picnic.

I have been to Tiree but years ago and if you have time to do it I would second that suggestion. The beaches are stunningly beautiful !

Iona is also well worth a visit but not sure if you would get there and have time to enjoy it in a day apart from doing an organised trip.

Woody x

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

Hi we have just visited Kerrera and I agree with the other posts that it is a very peacefull island the scenery is beautifull and remember to visit Gylen Castle and the little tearoom while you are there. We got a small guided map on the ferry over to the island and decided to take the circular route. I would like to warn others that the last part of this route is extremely hilly 620ft above sea level to be exact so unless you are used to hill walking which I am not this walk would not suit everyone just wish I knew this before I went but in saying that definately worth going just be warned about the climb if doing the circular route .

8. Re: Which is the best island to visit from Oban?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Oban