We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melfort Holiday Village and also Oban - questions!

Hull, England...
Level Contributor
38 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Melfort Holiday Village and also Oban - questions!

Has anyone here stayed at Melfort Holiday village?

I understand it's about 16 miles from Oban, and we are staying there in June. It now looks like we won't have a car with us. :-(

Can anyone advise on public transport, taxis, as well as things to do. We would be going to Melfort village from Oban station (so prob taxi job) and I would like to spend a day in Oban - what do you recommend we do there?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melfort Holiday Village and also Oban - questions!

I seriously recommend you hire a car- Melfort is quite remote and to get the most of your holiday you really need a car to get around this area. There is no public transport at all to Melfort so a taxi will be your only option from Oban. Once in Melfort there are nice walks immediately around the village but to explore the area you would need to taxi back to Oban and take local buses from there.

westcoastmotors.co.uk/timetable-info.aspx…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melfort Holiday Village and also Oban - questions!

It's not a great place to be without a car, to be honest, but actually there are buses, but only four a day - even less on Sats and in school hols. Here's a link to the bus timetable: argyll-bute.gov.uk/sites/default/files/btt42…

However, it's a nice part of the world, with good walking and some pleasant gardens to visit down the road at Arduaine. And you can walk to the pub in Kilmelford. Plenty to do in Oban. Have a look at http://www.oban.org.uk/

Edited: 26 April 2013, 13:59
Argyll
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melfort Holiday Village and also Oban - questions!

You really do need a car if you are visiting Melfort Village as it is a long walk from Kilmelford to Melfort Village (1.5 miles). To see the local area, you will also need a car unless you are prepared to book a taxi to take you on trips. This can probably be arranged but may be expensive.

Why not hire a car in Oban. You can do this from Flit Self drive http://www.flitselfdrive.co.uk/

You can get shopping delivered by Tesco and also the local store.

Do give Melfort Village a call to discuss further! 01852 200257

Hull, England...
Level Contributor
38 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melfort Holiday Village and also Oban - questions!

Thank you for these replies, there are 6 of us and only one driver with a normal sized car. People carrier hire is far too expensive. We will probably use the odd taxi or take it in turns going out for the day.

None the less I can't wait, we are also visiting Edinburgh and Stirling, should be good!

I will print out the timetables, they may come in useful :-).

5. Re: Melfort Holiday Village and also Oban - questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 05:16