We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auchenairn and Surrounding area questions

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
314 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Auchenairn and Surrounding area questions

Hi, I am spending a week in November in a lovely cottage in Auchencairn but do not know too much about the area yet.

1. Can anyone let me know of any places not to miss, say within 20/30 miles of the area. We like castles, museums, towns, also walks with our dogs.

2. A nice restaurant for a special meal, anniversary.

3. Traditional pubs serving food for general evening meals.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auchenairn and Surrounding area questions

My many visits to Galloway have been mainly for hill walking, not stayed in Auchencairn so I can't give you a comprehensive list but look at http://www.auchencairn.org.uk/ and http://www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk/ for more info.

And also Undiscovered Scotland site (good site!) for Kirkcudbright; undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areakirk/index.ht…

And undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areastrn/index.ht…

Others I like are;

Galloway Forest Park and the Glen Trool area north of Newton Stewart - great walking in forests or out on the hills in what is a remote area more like Argyll than the Borders. (check maps).

The 'Glen-Kens' area (St John's Town / New Galloway} is lovely.

Kirkcudbright - very nice small county town with fine architectural gems, and a town centre castle.

Threave Castle and gardens

Walks - check out http://www.forestry.gov.uk/gallowayforestpark Lots of good dog and people walks.

Hope this helps.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
314 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auchenairn and Surrounding area questions

Thanks that's a great help - will start trawling through those web sites

s.wales
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auchenairn and Surrounding area questions

We've stayed regularly in Auchencairn in the gate house/tower lodge at the entrance to Auchencairn House.You will see it on the right hand side of the road a mile or so before the Balcary Hotel.

Theres nothing much in the village,but the pub is very nice & serves great sunday lunches.You can buy milk papers etc from the garage just opposite, although more often than not it appears to be shut, but just give a shout & someone will come out to you!

As for walks, it is possibe to walk out over to Heston Island via the cause way.We've done it many times, but we know the area well, so I wouldn't attempt it if you are not experienced.If you do decide to do it, check the tides before you go, as its on a par with Morcambe Bay, & it fair whips in! You'll nee to check it out on an OS map before you go, as thers no actual fotpath down to the cause way.,but if I can be of any help, just let me know.

Other walks in the area are in the forestry, just park at the end of the road just past the Balcary Hotel, & you can walk up to Lock Mackie. I think a lot of the forestry has been bulldozed down now, or at leastr a good part of it was the last time we were there, so I don't know what its like now.Alternatively, you can go right round the cliff edge on a spectalular walk, but beware it is very exposed & RIGHT by the edge of the cliffs!

Kirkudbright is a nice place to visit with lots to see.If you are keen on the film The Wicker man go to the gallery/coffee shop there, (can't remember the name of it Im afraid!) part of the film was shot out side there. You will also see some alley ways between the houses, therse were used in the hobby horse scenes.

If you are looking for a special resteraunt, I'd reccommend the one in Palnackie, The Crows Nest.Its teeny Weeny inside, but its lovely.You might need to book though!

Seren.

4. Re: Auchenairn and Surrounding area questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 14:22
Get answers to your questions about Dumfries and Galloway