We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

India
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

Which is th easiest and economical way of reaching Castle Douglas?

I am travelling with my husband and we would be carrying a medium size suitcase and a handbag each.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

Which London airport are you arriving at?

It's nearly 300 miles. If you don't want to drive all the way, trains run from London Euston - Lockerbie - Glasgow.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/

You might be able to get a good connecting flight to Glasgow, then travel by train to Lockerbie.

From Lockerbie, car hire would probably be most convenient.

Note that in British English, a "handbag" is (usually) only carried by women.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,167 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

Castle douglas is I don't want to use the word remote but it is in the middle of the coutryside. There is no train station. I agree with Bob to try to get a connecting flight to Glasgow or even Newcastle or Edinburgh airports (they are all around the same distance wise) and rent a car then drive there.

Actuallly quite a pleasant scenic drive once you get free of those cities.

If you don't want to rent a car then you can get a train from Glasgow to Dumfries and a bus from there.

Driving all the way from London will take 7 hours or so depending on traffic, At least if you arefrom India then you won't have issues driving on the left.

India
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

Thanks Bobelinks and RonaldoC

We are staying close to Victoria station and sight see London for a few days before leaving for Castle Douglas.

Point noted - I will be carrying 2 handbags and my husband - 2 suitcases :) ... I am liking Britain already :)

We are not planning to hire a car and like to use public transportation.

I checked on the internet and it seems bus journey from London to Castle Douglas takes about 9 hours. Is it advisable considering the buses leave close from Victoria station?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

Train London-Newcastle starts from £12 online at eastcoast.co.uk; London-Glasgow starts from £12.90. These are the cheapest possible Advance fares, valid on booked train only, and must be booked in advance online. They are quota limited and the cheapest quotas sell out quickly. They are issued *about* 12 weeks before travel; you can sign up for an email alert and eastcoast will let you know when your day of travel becomes available for booking.

Check your bus times carefully - changing at Carlisle does not give you very long if your first bus is delayed, and I think the direct service arrives in Castle Douglas at silly o'clock in the morning.

www.travelinescotland.com has public transport for the whole of Scotland

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

The quickest and easiest way to get there is by train from London Euston to Dumfries (change at Carlisle) and then bus to Castle Douglas. Here's the bus timetable: www.dumgal.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,167 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

Take the train, the bus takes far longer and is not nearly as comfortable.

India
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

Thanks Dhmellor and RonaldoC

Will the trains have sufficient luggage space as I have read it is pretty difficult to store luggage in Virgin trains? and also is there any restrictions on the number of bags you can carry?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

The limits on luggage are in Appendix B of the National Conditions of Carriage

…virgintrains.co.uk/…appendixb

In practice, if you can carry it and stow it away safely, you can take it with you. There will be luggage racks for small items overhead, and for larger items at the ends of the coaches. No steamer trunks or surfboards, please.

9. Re: Easiest way to reach Castle Douglas from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2013, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Dumfries and Galloway