We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photographers in Gretna Green/Dumfries

Montreal, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Photographers in Gretna Green/Dumfries

I'm thinking about getting married near Gretna Green/Dumfries and are looking for a great photographer. We'd like a very modern, contemporary photographer. We are on a tight budget, any references or information would be great!! Thanks... I'd accept any tips for make-up/hairstylist as well!!

Thanks!

Boston, England...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Photographers in Gretna Green/Dumfries

Hi

Whoever you use, do NOT use Alister Lynn & Co at the Gretna Wedding Bureau on Central Avenue. I used them for a wedding in April 2012 and it was a near-disaster. The photographer did not even turn up! Completely missed the ceremony. It was only afterwards when I was talking to the piper, Craig Irving, he asked me why we hadn't got a photographer. I told him what had happened, and Craig went and called them for us. Soon after, a scruffily dressed man turned up with a camera (looked like he had just come out of the pub), and began taking random photos. We then got taken in our carriage to Gretna Hall Gardens, where another photographer (in a suit, this time) appeared, and took some decent photos.

The photos the scruffy guy took did not even make it to the final selection we were offered, and as such we have no photographs at all of the ceremony. I have written a letter of complaint and to date have not had a reply/apology.

[edit] I'm sure your post was dated 1st December 2012 before I logged in and replied!

Edited: 22 December 2012, 12:08
Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photographers in Gretna Green/Dumfries

I had Colin Wyper for photos and would recommend him. I was very pleased with our photos and the album and the bonus was our photos were ready the next day.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 22:26
Sunderland, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photographers in Gretna Green/Dumfries

I know i am late to comment and recommend, but for couples who will be reading this thread in search for a photographer!

We got married on 20 August 2014 in Crichton Church,Dumfries and had one of Alister Lynn's photographers, nice woman but...

The Crichton Church is simply breathtaking, an amazing venue worthy of any wedding. It is set in beautiful grounds and the architecture is stunning, it had everything required to make a fabulous wedding and what should have been fantastic photographs. Even the sun shone for us. It is therefore unfortunate that such a great opportunity was ruined by what I can only describe as very poor, amateur photography.

Photographer simply stood in a corner most of the ceremony, very little shooting was going on, so when we received the proof sheets to choose from they were mostly multiple copies of the same picture. very little imagination from photographer, photos are boring, no close ups, black and white and sepia photos are basically colour photo turned into b&w and sepia. Very poor for WEDDING photographer, so wish i went for someone else and listened to the first review i read on this thread.

So please keep looking, its that special day you want to have stunning photos of, not a cell phone quality photographs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photographers in Gretna Green/Dumfries

Just to add, for those finding this in a search for photographers, you might want to consider Paul Brown - he did a friend's wedding, and my friend was very pleased; the website is

http://www.p-b-photography.co.uk

5. Re: Photographers in Gretna Green/Dumfries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Gretna Green