We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair and Make up and Photography

Newcastle
1 post
Save Topic
Hair and Make up and Photography

HI, i am getting married at The Mill in sept this year. doea anyone have any recommendations for Hair and Make up people? most the sites i've seen have gallery full of "up do's" i dont suit this at all and want to wear it down but still look different! also not used to a lot of make up, but want to feel made up! (not asking for much am i) also i have booked Colin Carpenter for my photography, has anyone used him before? Also any views on weddings at The Mill would be appreciated. : )

Dumfries and...
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

Noticed you hadn't any replies so far so am going to try my best to help!

Colin Carpenter gets a fairly good reputation. I haven't seen any of his work personally although his wife does wedding videos and she filmed my friends wedding and the quality was really good.

I'm with you on the up-do's and make up. I had my hair down and did my own make up.

I haven't used any hair or makeup people in Gretna, but Dumfries and Carlisle are fairly close and if you contact some of the bigger salons in either of these places they will usually have someone who will travel to Gretna before the wedding to make you up! You could also try the local Gretna Virgin Vie consultant, they will come and do your make up and the stuff is pretty nice too! Or do what I did and go to all the big dept. stores beauty counters and get them to do your make up for you and show you how to apply it properly. When you get a look you like, buy the stuff. Ok it costs a bit more at the time, but you get to look as gorgeous throughout your honeymoon and beyond as you did on the big day!!

Hope this helps a little.

Manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

Hi, i'm also getting married at 'The Mill' but in December this year! I've been recommended from other Gretna wedding services 'fiona & june' and although no consultation before hand(slightly disappointed),they have years of experience and will give you the look you want, and can copy from a photo a style your current hairdresser has done! They can also apply just a natural make-up, so you feel confident but gorgeous!! - I am going to book them for my wedding! Hope this helps?

As for photographs, i have booked 'emma wyper', again through recommendation (i tried firstly to book her 'dad' colin wyper, but unfortunately he's away on my date, so we booked emma, whom the 'mill' also recommend, infact i had a trip up to the mill back in february before we booked, and emma was doing a wedding as we were there!)

I have also booked if you are interested in a video too, hazel carpenter(colins wife) to do this, also through recommendation, it was infact colin wyper, emma's dad that told us about her! My scottish piper that i have booked is craig irving. I think that's about it, except for the minister (brian ridley).

Anyway hoping you have a 'super' day, i don't know if you've visited the 'mill' before, but it's 'gorgeous', the 'best' of all 'gretna green' in my eyes (although it's just out of gretna green, and on your wedding certificate it will actually say kirkpatrick fleming), but it's as good as gretna green to me! Infact after we have got married, we are rushing back home to manchester for the wedding breakfast and reception! mad aye, but 'fun' to say i got marreid in scotland 'this morning', ha! Hope this helps! Happy 'weddings' and have a 'fabulous' day! Best Wishes, A&S.

Manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

Hi, i'm also getting married at 'The Mill' but in December this year! I've been recommended from other Gretna wedding services 'fiona & june' and although no consultation before hand(slightly disappointed),they have years of experience and will give you the look you want, and can copy from a photo a style your current hairdresser has done! They can also apply just a natural make-up, so you feel confident but gorgeous!! - I am going to book them for my wedding! Hope this helps?

As for photographs, i have booked 'emma wyper', again through recommendation (i tried firstly to book her 'dad' colin wyper, but unfortunately he's away on my date, so we booked emma, whom the 'mill' also recommend, infact i had a trip up to the mill back in february before we booked, and emma was doing a wedding as we were there!)

I have also booked if you are interested in a video too, hazel carpenter(colins wife) to do this, also through recommendation, it was infact colin wyper, emma's dad that told us about her! My scottish piper that i have booked is craig irving. I think that's about it, except for the minister (brian ridley).

Anyway hoping you have a 'super' day, i don't know if you've visited the 'mill' before, but it's 'gorgeous', the 'best' of all 'gretna green' in my eyes (although it's just out of gretna green, and on your wedding certificate it will actually say kirkpatrick fleming), but it's as good as gretna green to me! Infact after we have got married, we are rushing back home to manchester for the wedding breakfast and reception! mad aye, but 'fun' to say i got marreid in scotland 'this morning', ha! Hope this helps! Happy 'weddings' and have a 'fabulous' day! Best Wishes, A&S.

northampton...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

I used Fiona and June and they were fantastic. I did have the traditonal up do. All I said to them was this is my dress, this is me make it look good and they did. They worked amazing fast ad all of the guests asid my hair looked fantastic so don't worry about not having a trial run. They had asked in advance the colour of my dress, hair, eyes, skin tone. I was the 6th or 7th bride of the day. they do lts more wedding hair than your normal hairdresser. I'm sure they would be equally fantastic on a down do as they are at the up do. i was really apprehensive about make up I booked Fiona & June to do my make up but had make over done at a few beauty counters and decided to do my own make up on the day I kept my booking in case I made a mess of it and so they could make any improvements. i was happy to pay even if they didn't do anything, I just needed reassurance that I had back up. They changed the colour of my lipstick - they know what colour looks good on photos and makes your teeth look whiter, I'd been happy with the colour I'd used but theirs was so much better. They also used a little bronzer and a couple of other things. I'm sure they thought I was mad paying for those few bits but they are really resaonable anyway. Again i am confident that they can do just what you want for your make - they have years and years and years of experience. If you really need peace of mind you could go over for the day and have a trial run - maybe the Mill would let you borrow a room for a couple of hours as you're having your wedding there. I really don't think you need to though. Blimey I go on. Can't help with the photographer I used Emma Wyper (again because her dad was busy). Have a fabulous day. It's a wonderful place to get married.

5. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2006, 18:37
england
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

Hi

Got married on 25th august, and like you I hate my hair up, wanted it down. I also contemplated doing my own make-up, although didnt in the end.

If i can give you any tips its do not do our own make up.

I used "complete bride" which you can find on the inetrnet if you put in a search for hair and make up in gretna green.

2 girls came to my hotel , one did hair and one did make up. and my family were so amazed by how i looked, that my mum and bridesmaid decided to get theres done after maintaining that they wanted to do their own.

They made me look beautiful and were very quick and proffessional. I saw them several times round my hotel so they must be popular.

I totally recommend them.

Good Luck

doncaster
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

Hi, I got married at The Mill Forge on the 15th July 06.

I had Fiona & June to do my make up and hair and they were fantastic, I too did not want my hair up but for some reason on the day I changed my mind and it looked stunning and my make up was so natural

Our wedding at The Mill was lovely and we had Rev Dennison to do the service which was great it was so personal.

We also had Colin Carpenter to do our photography and his wife Hazel did our DVD which is fantastic its so nice to look back at the day when it all seems to go so quick.

I can also recommend our piper - Craig Irving and Monarch wedding cars which we used to transport myself and bridesmaids from our hotel The Gretna Hall Hotel and back again.

The Gretna Hall Hotel is fantastic for your reception the meal and service were first class and I can recommend the bridal suites they are lovely. We stayed in the Queensbury Clayton Suite for three nights and it was so special.

Enjoy your day and good luck.

Manchester
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

Got married there 2 weeks ago. Highly recommend Colin Carpenter. I used Michelle for hair and make up, she was very good. Enjoy your day!

9. Re: Hair and Make up and Photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about Gretna Green