We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch ideas!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
384 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
lunch ideas!

I am from Aberdeen and having a days shopping in Dundee on Friday and would like to know if anyone can recommend some good choices for getting a nice lunch.

Through previous experience i have found that you can pick up good special lunch deals during the week but i am not familiar with Dundee and don't know where to look

Thanks for any input!

Forfar,Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lunch ideas!

Hi Shaz,

for lunch it really depends what you are looking for. South Tay Street has the DCA, The Social, Chambers, Bar Rio and The Playright, a real mixture of styles. It is only a couple of minutes walk from the Overgate Shopping Centre towards the University. If you walk along Nethergate you can't miss it. Look for the Queens Hotel. The area will be nice and quiet on a Friday and you shouldn't have any problems getting a seat.

Jon

Glasgow
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: lunch ideas!

I found it difficult to find places in Dundee when i first moved!

If you want to stay in town you could try going down commercial street - The Italian do a lunch deal and it is a lovely restaurant. Commercial Street is the one with Waterstones on it, just off the high street - look for accessorize.

Alternatively as suggested, just walk on past the overgate along perth road. Bar Rio, Braes, Tonic (amazing burgers), if you want a beer garden, walk along past all these and go down roseangle - past the shiny steps - and you will find Laings, Dundee's only beer garden that has just reopened. I'll probably be watching you as I move out my flat!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
384 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lunch ideas!

Thanks very much for both of your input - one place that was reviewed in our local paper was the Playwright which although got a good review its nice to see local people recommending it and I have called them and at lunchtime they do a special deal £15.95 for 2 courses and 3 courses £18.95

The other place I saw on the internet was the Italian which are doing a special 3 course lunch for £16.95(i think) and again good to see somebody suggesting it as a good place to try.

I think that I will go to one of the establishments you've both mentioned and I'll report back on what it was like!

In Aberdeen and St Andrews I have been able to eat out at lunchtimes very well for between £7 and £10 a head for 2 courses so seems Dundee is a wee bit dearer but hopefully the quality will match the prices!

Forfar,Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lunch ideas!

I think the problem with Dundee is there is not the competition between restaurants as there are nowhere as many as in St Andrews. I enjoy going to St Andrews and wandering around looking for places to eat but in Dundee you can't really do that.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lunch ideas!

Thanks from me, too!

Shaz, I will be following you down to Dundee the following week and was just wondering where to go! I agree it does seem pricier than Aberdeen for lunch, though.

Loved the directions given... walk past this shop and look for that shop - much easier than street names ... must be a woman!!

St Andrews
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lunch ideas!

I second the Italian on Commercial Street :)

Heard great things about it !

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lunch ideas!

A local recommended Mandarin Garden for Chinese on South Tay Street or Rama, Shore Tce for Thai.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
384 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lunch ideas!

I decided to go to the Italian in Commercial Street and glad to say had a really nice meal after a bit of misunderstanding to begin with!

To explain - I had been on the computer and seen a set lunch for 3 course £15.95 (which said including ciabatta and olives)- we duly picked our menu before deciding to book

When we arrived and got a menu there was no mention of a set lunch and when I asked I was told that they did not do it until after 5 pm! I decided to say to the waiter that came over to take our order that they should update the website and I was told yes we do a set lunch and the other waiter did not know what he was speaking about!!!

After which we got a really nice meal, unfortunately though neither of us chose the ciabatta starter which appealed as we thought we were getting ciabatta and olives(which i can do without!) with the meal - neither of these appeared but we did not say anything.

To sum up I would say that the food was excellent but pity staff not gemmed up on what they should be offering!(only a little gripe)

9. Re: lunch ideas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Dundee
Recent Conversations