We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Edinburgh to Dundee

Which Dundee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Edinburgh to Dundee

I am from Singapore & would like to experience train travel in Scotland.

I am travelling to Dundee on business. I am flying in from Singapore & will land at Edinburgh airport at around 1:30pm.

Is this journey recommended? From a safety as well as scenery perspective?

Any recommendations on which train company to use?

Class of ticket should not be an issue, since my other option was to hire a taxi.

Cheerio

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Dundee

Hi.

It is a straightforward journey. Safety is not an issue, we have a very safe rail network. As long as you use common sense you will be very safe.

There is only one company, First Scotrail. Check out www.nationalrail.co.uk for timetables and prices.

The Edinburgh to Dundee route is largely commuter, the train will not be more than 2/3 carriages, and the difference between standard and first class is negligible - a glass partition and different coloured seat fabric if you're lucky!

That route is not particularly scenic, although you will pass over the iconic Forth Rail bridge. (which won't give you a good view of this bridge, because you will be ON it!). Scotland has some STUNNING railway lines - The West Highland line from Glasgow-Mallaig and the Inverness-Kyle of Lochalsh line. If you want to experience Scottish train travel at its best (in terms of scenery), I'd recommend those routes.

Abs :)

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Dundee

»»There is only one company, First Scotrail««

East Coast trains also serves this route 4 times a day on it's King's Cross to Aberdeen service. http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

The trains would be larger and offer free food in First Class.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Dundee

Of course. Thanks for the correction, ronw. :)

4. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Dundee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Dundee
Recent Conversations