We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunbar Castle

KC
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dunbar Castle

Planning a trip to this part of the country. I understand that there are trains from Edinburgh but they don't go as far as Dunbar. Would it be better to rent a car in Edinburgh? How long is the drive? Is there a Dunbar Castle? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on this site. Hope someone can help. Thanks, Marcia

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunbar Castle

National Express East Coast run some trains from Edinburgh that call at Dunbar on their way to London KX.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunbar Castle

Dunbar Castle is a ruin that over looks Dunbar Harbour undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/dunbar/….

The A1 road from Edinburgh to Dunbar is dual carriageway.

KC
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunbar Castle

Thanks for the help. I'm wondering how long it takes to drive from Edinburgh to Dunbar. What I'm thinking about is getting a hotel in Edinburgh and then doing daytrips to surrounding highlights. Is this do-able? Thanks again, Marcia

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
734 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunbar Castle

Definitely doable. Be sure to include North Berwick in your itinerary. We are on the train route as well.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunbar Castle

You can do the journey from the outskirts of Edinburgh to Dunbar in under 30mins by car outside rush hour.

However, the problem will be getting out of Edinburgh depending on where you are based as it is plagued by roadworks at the moment. One to watch out for if heading for Dunbar are those scheduled to begin tomorrow at the Sheriffhall Rbt on the City Bypass (A720).

Haddington would be worth calling at for a visit on your way to Dunbar. Head back to Edinburgh from Dunbar via North Berwick and the East Lothian Coastal route.

KC
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunbar Castle

Planning to travel Oct. 1, but the road will probably still be messed up. Thanks for all the great advice. Marcia

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunbar Castle

If you want to do East Lothian well then hiring a car would be best; so many nice villages and towns, as well as castles (although as much as Dunbar Castle is dramatic there is little of it left thanks to various sieges, and harbour building - "Black Agnes" will be turning in her grave).

Castles at Tantallon (East of North Berwick), Hailes (East of Haddington), and Dirleton are the pick.

Haddington is an outstanding market town well worth a visit (as someone already mentioned).

May be an idea to check out NBClaymore; I'm sure he has done an "inside page" on east Lothian which was very informative.

If you are staying in Edinburgh it may be an idea to try the Premier Inn at Newcraighall; it's next to a train link direct to Edinburgh in around 10 minutes (trains run Monday to Saturday). It also is on the A1 dual carriageway which will take you directly to East Lothian.

I would also suggest staying in North Berwick for a night if you want a head start on things.

8. Re: Dunbar Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 13:21
Get answers to your questions about East Lothian