We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

California
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

Hello fellow travelers!

We are planning a trip next year, most likely around Sep/October. We have been to Edinburgh before and absolutely loved it!! We should be there for 4 days or so, it's one of our favorite places in Europe. We are hoping when we return next year to enjoy a trip out into the highlands, and we feel like we would probably prefer to just rent our own car for the day instead of joining a tour group ( tour groups aren't really our thing).

So a few questions:

-Is is difficult to rent a car? Do we need any special insurance/international drivers license or anything? We are both over 25 so no issue there.

-what would you suggest to see? We love castles, whisky,exploring and just the general beauty that we have seen in pictures that the highlands have to offer.

-Is it possible to scoot around just for the day and enjoy, or is it necessary to stay overnight somewhere? ( I suppose this depends on how far we go from Edinburgh)

Last question, and we would take the train for this, is a day trip to Glasgow worth it? It seems only an hour away, anything worth seeing there?

Thanks in advance and Happy Traveling!

LC

Mentioned in this post
October
October
675 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
10 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

Are you golfers? St Andrews is readily accessible from Edinburgh.

You don't need a car in Edinburgh or Glasgow, train is much better. Trains from Edinburgh Waverley or Haymarket are every 15 minutes or so during the working day, a little less often out with that but not a worry to you. I like the Merchant City area https:/…merchant-city It is fair to say that Glasgow is less of a tourist attraction than Edinburgh and much less pretty but it still has its good points. Some good art galleries, architecture and history.

Historically Edinburgh had banking, law, publishing and brewing, in Glasgow they actually made stuff. Ships and things that made the world work. "Clyde Built" was a statement of quality.

Somewhere like Loch Lomond is easily accessible by public transport. If you really want to go to the Highlands then you will probably need to hire a car and I suspect that an overnight stay would be desirable.

People in Glasgow are said to be friendlier than Edinburgh. They speak a different language and it is said that they don’t have “sauce” on their chips.

It is not difficult to rent a car. Ask for advice here before you do so. Some companies with the word green in their name have an appalling reputation. You should not confuse 100 miles of travel in Scotland with the same distance in America.

Mentioned in this post
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Haymarket
Haymarket
532 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Merchant City
Merchant City
707 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
California
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

Thank you AlanBrownEdinburgh, those are some great tips that I will definitely heed! We aren't golfers but I have heard that it is incredibly beautiful so worth a look as we love to take photos :) Merchants city looks lovely, I think that a trip to Glasgow should be fun, perhaps we will save the Highlands for next time.

P.S. I'll have to get back to you on the nice-ness of those in Glasgow compared to Edinburgh, everyone in Edinburgh from restaurants where we ate to the flat where we stayed were so incredibly kind and hospitable to us,that was a big part of the reason we loved it so much and can't wait to return.

Thanks again :)

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,942 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

Alan is only joking about the different language, we speak English just a different accent, but we will slow it down for you!

Train is only 50 minutes and only £12:70 off peak return, so well worth a trip through.

I wouldn't discard a Tour?

Rabbies and Timberbush both great reviews on here and they use 16 seat Mercedes Benz Vans for a more intimate tour.

Lochs and Glens or Loch Lomond and Trossachs Tour would let you see some nice scenery without venturing to far North.

California
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

This is great info, thank you so much! I am excited to visit Glasgow now, and I will definitely check out the tours to see if one will fit in our schedule. :)

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

"Last question, and we would take the train for this, is a day trip to Glasgow worth it? It seems only an hour away, anything worth seeing there? "

Well it is Scotland's largest city, about double the size of Edinburgh so there is plenty to see and do.

Whilst it may not be as tourist-centric as Edinburgh, it is more of a 'living' city which has a reputation as one of the cultural hubs of the UK. You will find the best Arts and music scenes outside of London, some of the best architecture (whether it's better than Edinburgh's is subjective but it certainly has much better modern architecture), it is the hub for sports, nightlife, museums, theatre and is regularly voted as the most friendly city n the world - Edinburgh actually has a reputation of being slightly unfriendly but maybe that is just to us Glaswegians ;)

It is true what is said above, we don't tend to put sauce (a horrible looking brown sludge which is a mixture of brown sauce and vinegar) on our chips - we do the normal thing and use salt and vinegar. We're not savages!

Also, it is true that the language is different. We speak Queen's English in Glasgow and refrain from using made up words such as 'ken', 'gadgie' and 'spraff'. We do however speak at 100 miles per hour (or 160.93 kilometres per hour in metric) and you may require us to slow down a wee bit.

You will have a great time I'm sure.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
California
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

Wow, This sounds fantastic :) we are avid art lovers and the more we are looking up and hearing about Glasgow from our great TA friends the more excited we are getting. I'll probably pick your brain closer to the trip to ask for suggestions of your favorite places to eat (as that is probably the thing we like to do most, we love food and eat as often as possible,usually 3 meals a day plus lots of snacks pastries/coffee etc, we're little piggies when we travel,we never turn down an opportunity for food, haha!) Thank you so much for your wonderful advice :)

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

The process of renting a car in Edinburgh or Glasgow is no different from renting it in the US. Make your reservation, show up in time, stand at the counter for untold ridiculous amounts of time, hand over your driver's license and credit card and then off you go! The driving part of course is a bit different but honestly, we found that our brains made the switch quite quickly. Having the passenger help you with your first few turns and thinking through which lane to go into is helpful. Also VERY helpful is having some device with turn-by-turn directions being spoken to you so you can focus on the mechanics of driving and not necessarily the navigation itself. You can use your own phone if you have an international plan or you can get a device from the counter. They call it Sat Nav....Satellite Navigation. If you require a car with an automatic transmission, you will need to specifically request that and be aware that it may drive up the price a bit.

I for one think it would be a crying shame to only do a day trip to the Highlands. You'll only kick yourself for not devoting more time there :)

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

"You can use your own phone if you have an international plan or you can get a device from the counter."

No plan of any sort is needed to use a Sat Nav app with installed maps on a phone. Don't rent a Sat Nav specifically unless you enjoy wasting money.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

What I should have been more specific is that some cars come with built in Sat Nav devices (like into the console). So that's something to be aware of.

California
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?

Thank you for all the tips everyone! :)

Reply to: Highlands/day trip to Glasgow?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted