We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

I'm planning to go to Stirling Castle and Linlithgow Palace tomorrow. I understand I can buy anytime or off peak return tickets Edinburgh to Stirling and break the journey at Linlithgow on the return. What do I actually do with the ticket though - do I put it in the barriers (if there are barriers) when I get on/off at Linlithgow, or do I need to find a staff person? I don't want the barriers to eat my ticket.

Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Shetland Islands...
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

The ticket barrier machine should spit your ticket back out. If you are worried look for a railway official. In my experience they are quite happy to let you through an non-machine gate when you show them your ticket.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

Hi there, there are no ticket barriers at Linlithgow station when you get on or off a train, the platforms are open, so you will be fine as long as you hold on to your ticket. Enjoy your visit!

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

Thanks. No barriers is definitely the easiest way to solve the problem of what to do with the ticket. I can hopefully manage to hold on to it for the day!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

You could purchase tickets to the further stations of Dunblane (direct trains) or Alloa (change at Stirling) for the same price (£9.50 offpeak return) as to Stirling. I'd do it just for the fun of an extra bit on the train. Although you might like to have a look at Dunblane Cathedral (and Andy Murray's gold post box) or Alloa Tower if you went.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

I actually considered Dunblane at one point too, but it seemed like then I might be trying to fit too much in a day.

I hadn't heard of Alloa Tower, but that looks interesting too. I'd still be afraid that would be too much for a day though.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,259 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

Barriers only eat tickets at the end of the journey. At break of journey they will either let you through or go "weee" and spit it back at you with a 116 error code which means "not valid here" so you show it to staff.

If there are automatic barriers health and safety requirements mean there will always be an attendant available.

If you haven't already been to Edinburgh Castle, and intend to, a HES 3 day Explorer Pass will cost about the same as Edinburgh + Stirling Castles, and give you free admission to Linlithgow as well as a free third day.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,349 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

Apart from the big City Stations, most Stations on the Network do not have Barriers, and indeed do not have a member of Staff collecting Tickets from dissembarking Passengers!

You simply leave the train and walk out the Station unhindered, keeping the ticket in your pocket for the 2nd leg back to Edinburgh of course.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

Break of journey went fine at Linlithgow. No barriers, but the conductor did check my ticket on both Stirling-Linlithgow and Linlithgow to Edinburgh. When I got back to Edinburgh my ticket wouldn't open the barriers there, but there were 3 other people whose tickets didn't open the barrier either, so I don't know that that had anything to do with the break of journey. (Don't see how it could have.) So a staff person let us all through.

I did have a question though. Could I have taken any train from Linlithgow to Edinburgh, or did it have to be one that also stopped at Stirling? When I first got back to the station in Linlithgow, a train was just leaving, but it was Glasgow - Edinburgh that stopped at Linlithgow but not at Stirling. I wasn't sure it that would be legal for a break of journey or not. Thanks.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,259 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

Yes, it would be permitted for break of journey (provided there is no other restriction that applied).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,848 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow

The conductor would probably have told you that you were on the wrong train but a quick explanation that you wanted to get off to see Linlithgow and they would be fine with that.

Reply to: Break of journey mechanics Stirling and Linlithgow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted