We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stirling Castle

Bar Mills, Maine
Level Contributor
32 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Stirling Castle

Hi! We'll be in Edinburgh Christmas Week. We have a couple of day trips planned, however, I'm contemplating a quick day trip up to Stirling Castle. Is it a doable walk from the train station or is there transport available. We'll be traveling with a 6 yo & 10 yo. How much time do you suggest we spend at the Stirling?

13 replies to this topic
Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stirling Castle

It is about a mile uphill. You could jump in a taxi if you don't fancy the walk.

Might have been better to post in the Stirling forum

www.scotrail.co.uk for train details

Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
270 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stirling Castle

Are you planning to visit Edinburgh Castle when you are there? Unless you're a real castle enthusiast you might find it very similar to Edinburgh. Having said that, Stirling Castle is a fantastic attraction and certainly worth visiting. Perhaps you could give some thought to skipping Edinburgh Castle? It should be walkable from the railway station - 20/25 minutes I guess although uphill on the way there.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stirling Castle

Just walk as it gives you a chance to see the rest of the Town.

What day are you planning? Remember no trains run on 25/26th!

Bar Mills, Maine
Level Contributor
32 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stirling Castle

Thank you for the prompt responses! I apologize, I didn't even think about a "Stirling" forum. LOL Anyhoo, we do not plan on Christmas or Boxing Days. I've already scoured some things that are open those days (although Christmas will be a lazy day). We actually do plan on visiting Edinburgh Castle...and I've heard although they're similar, Stirling does have it's own special personality.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stirling Castle

0.75 miles, with around 200ft of steady climb. That's up through the streets of the town. Buses and coaches are listed as operating on the 26th. Citylink coaches take quite a while, ordinary service buses well over two hours.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stirling Castle

Its totally walkable - although it does get very steep near the top. The setting of Stirling Castle is amazing - how far you can see on a clear day. I am sure with the wee ones you will be able to bribe them with the promise of a treat to get them there and back without the need for a taxi. Also allows you to explore the city.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,864 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stirling Castle

If you plan on visiting both then get an explorer pass

https:/…section-2

Slightly cheaper than single entry tickets to both and fast track entry although can't really see queues being an issue Christmas week.

For GBP62 you can get a Family pass which will be good for 2 adults and the kids. Will save you quite a bit.

Will also give you access to Argyll's Lodging next to Stirling Castle. Try to take the free guided tour of the castle. Can be very entertaining. Taxi from the train station will only be GBP5 or so but if you are fit it is not too bad a walk or you could taxi up and walk back.

Very old friend of mine runs a nice tearoom near the castle if you fancy a coffee

https://www.facebook.com/Thecouthiecorner/

Edited: 17 October 2017, 16:47
Bar Mills, Maine
Level Contributor
32 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stirling Castle

RonaldoC, purchased our Explorer Pass already :) Another reason why I'm contemplating Stirling. We're already using it for Edinburgh & Doune Castles, might as well get our money's worth out of it LOL Thank you for the tea room recommendation, too! Added it to my "list"

Edited: 17 October 2017, 16:51
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,473 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stirling Castle

IMHO Stirling is a far more interesting castle than Edinburgh. Much of the original castle in Edinburgh was destroyed and a lot of it was rebuilt by the Victorians. If you only decide to do one I'd pick Stirling

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stirling Castle

You could pop into Linlithgow Palace on the way back (OK to break your train journey and then continue on the same ticket) if you really want to get your money's worth.

Also if you travel off-peak (afrer 0915 weekdays) there is a Kids Go Free promotional train fare available.

Reply to: Stirling Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted