We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menu

Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Menu

Do the restaurants post their menus outside or in the window?

Also how much would a drink cost, let say a snifter of brandy?

Thanks!

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Menu

Yes - same as in the US, most restaurants will have a menu in the window or tacked up outside. The exception might be the really fancy places, but then you know that it's going to cost you a fortune!

Can't help with the brandy, but a pint of beer is going to cost at least £2.70 or more.

Kate

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menu

Yes, The law is the "Price Marking (Food and Drink Services) Order 2003"

They are required to display a menu outside (or in a larger building, at the entrance to the restaurant area) by law. Pubs must have a bar price list visible at the bar. Takeaways must have a menu display at the point at which you choose your order.

This website is from an English council but the law is the same or similar in Scotland:

www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/advice/menu.html

Edinburgh's council website is slightly less succinct and their URLs are too long for TA :-(

Go to www.edinburgh.gov.uk click on Home > Business > Trading standards > Trading Standards - information and advice > Premises serving food and drink

I'll let unclegus comment on pub drinks prices :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,530 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Menu

don't get me started on Pub drink prices.

the other week I was meeting a friend in a pub in George street a pint of Kronebourg 1664 was £3.40 the same beer in our bowling club is £2.05 and that has just gone up 7p this week.

Beer in the city center will set you back at least £2.50 but generally it's nearer £3 a pint but there are exceptions.Wetherspoon bars tend to be very reasonably priced but there are not enough of them around.

Malt whisky is about £3 a nip in the city center about the same price as a brandy I would think,but in the bowling club a malt whisky is £1.41.I wonder why I go to the bowling club for a drink more than I go to pubs in the town?

Bribeck why not try some nice malt whiskies whilst in Scotland?

Don't know much about them and frighted you might get lost in the maze of whiskies out there?,well fear not as I have written a beginners guide to Scotch whisky and you can find it on this link.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186485-c13996/Scotla…

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Menu

Could the price difference be due to the fact that your bowling club is probably just trying to cover costs & possibly make a small profit, whilst the pubs are money- making businesses that have a lot more expenses (higher council taxes?). It could be that higher prices on beer make up for lower profits on other items - possibly food etc. And clearly, fair mark-up or not, pubs are getting away with it.... I've seen worse than £3.00 a pint in England. Eek!

What really gets me is the prices for soda (Coke, Sprite etc.) - the cost of the syrup and fizzy water is literally pence, but they charge almost as much as a beer. For a country that has a problem with excessive drinking, it seems outrageous that they can permit this rip off. Compare this to NYC, where designated drivers often get a soda on the house. For the record, I certainly like a pint or two of cider, but don't like being too tipsy, so drink during dinner or alternate ciders with sodas.

Kate

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Menu

I just make a pint last all evening ...

Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Menu

Thanks everybody! a week to go.

7. Re: Menu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 01:18