We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tours- are we too old?

Mississauga
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Day tours- are we too old?

I am looking into day tours out of Edinburgh and Glasgowas we have a week vacation (pleasure and business) end of May planned. ( 3 nights Edinburgh, 4 in Glasgow). Looking at Rabbies and Haggis one day tours. We prefer sunday or saturday out of Edinburgh and the Haggis Loch Lomond Ranger looks good. From comments on this forum it sounds like mostly young people go on them. I don't consider us old ( just 50) but are we too old????? Will we be the only ones over 30?The other option is the Rabbies highland whiskey and waterfall or one that goes to Hermitage,Queens View and Killin.....I don't know much about those destinations. and I wonder if the Haggis is the better itinerary. Loch Lomond Rabbies tour is booked.

We prefer small group tours as these companies offer. Or would we be better renting a car for the day and venturing out on our own? Also I don't see many small group tours out of Glasgow. Perhaps there we would be better on our own and if so where to?

Hope this forum can clear this up for me...Thanks

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

Well, I'm 52 and I'd have no hesitation in taking the trip. I'd much reather spend a day in the company of young people than a bunch of old fogies. :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

I am slightly younger tha NB Claymore (not much) bit I would have no hesitation going on these tours,never let your age be a barrier.

You will probably find you are fitter and much more knowlagable than mosy folk half your age.Go for it!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
168 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

My father- in-law, who's mid fifties, did the Tayside Haggis tour last January, and felt slightly out of place. He initally booked with Rabbies but that trip fell through because of lack of interest. Haggies were the only company guaranteeing no cancellation.

Although he enjoyed the tour itself (apparently the tour guide was very funny and knowledgable) he didn't quite appreciate the very loud music in the bus as much as the other members of the party. At that particular tour, the other 15 members all appeared to be early twenties.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go with Haggis, it just depends on you and what's important to you. I wouldn't appreciate loud music blasting through the stereo all the way to Loch Tay...but then again I'm not a springchicken like our NBClaymore and Unclegus ;-)...

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

Arracka, I'm sure you do yourself an injustice:0). Maybe we'll find out at the next TA Edinburgh meet?

Quito is from Mississauga. I'm sure lioud music will be right up his/her street. If nothing else, it might prevent him/her from falling asleep on the bus.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
168 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

LOL

You've got a point there NB ... ;-0 Better book Haggis, Quito!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

Quito, the marking of age and the passage of time are two of the most unfortunate errors mankind has ever made - you are only as old as you think you are. So opt for whatever grabs you by the heart.

on the road in...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

You will be fine with Rabbies (I don't know the other company) I can honestly say that although most of the group are usually younger, every time I have been with Rabbies there has been a mix, not just in ages but in type of traveller from the resident Scot to visitors, couples to single & groups.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you are worried, then try and get a seat at the front, that way you can ask the guide any questions you want and the more rowdy crowd will naturally go to the back any way.

The thing is Scotland is such a beautiful place with so much to see & do that if you hire a car, not only do you have to decide & plan what to do, the person driving misses out on so much and you both miss out on all the infomation & good stuff that a guide can provide.

No-body is saying stay in youth hostel, (not that their aren't good youth hostels) but not all young people are music blaring, chewing gum spitting types .....

Springfield...
Level Contributor
59 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

Haggis has a 'sister company' called Highland Explorer Tours ( www.highlandexplorertours.com ) that run very simular tours to the haggis tours, but in a 'family friendly atmosphere' check them out.

~M.Elston

Mississauga
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

We are pretty young at heart. I found another company that runs similar day excursions called Timberbush- they also run out of Glasgow- the first small bus company I have found. ( We will be spending some time there part business/ part pleasure). My work now will be choosing itineraries. Thanks for your help!

stirling
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day tours- are we too old?

Haggis do really great tours but aimed mostly at younger crowd or those young at heart!! they are big on fun and their guides tell pretty crazy stories about scottish history. If you up for it then its great fun.

For an slower pace with less full on humour i would say their sister company Highland Explorer Tours would be a better bet. Still with local and very knowlegable guides, but a more mixed crowd age wise and probably a few families.

The really Good think about BOTH Haggis and Highland Explorer Tours is that they have guaranteeed deparures policy (unlike most other operators) if you book your tour with them they will run, even if its just you and the guide!!

I went of a Highland Explorers tour to Loch Ness with some friends who were visiting and it was really good, so saw loads in a day, highly recommended.