We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus route from Haymarket

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bus route from Haymarket

Hello!

I'm visiting Scotland very soon and will be staying in Edinburgh for a few days.

I've checked the website for the bus route at LothianBuses, but I quite didn't understand...still have one question...

How do I get to 30A Colinton Road (this should be at the corner of Spylaw Road and Gillsland Road) from Haymarket Station??

I need to get to this place by 10:30 on Sunday.

I guess there should be a bus stop near the station?

GLASGOW
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus route from Haymarket

Hi smilingkiwi

Try this site www.transportdirect.info and it will give you the bus number and where to get it and the journey time.Be as precise as you can E.G.the post code of Colinton Road EH10 5DG and Edinburgh Haymarket Railway Station EH12 5EY

Good Luck

Jon-Pon

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus route from Haymarket

The bus which goes closest to where you want to go is the number 10. To catch this you would need to walk from Haymarket along to the top of Lothian Road (about 10 minutes). This has the Caledonian Hotel on one corner and St Johns Church on the other. I think the bus stop you want is just down a little from the corner where the church is. You probably need to get off the bus in Polwarth Gardens or Terrace near the Bowling Club and walk a few minutes from there to your destination.

Your other option if you don't want to walk for 10 minutes from Haymarket is to walk round the corner from the station on to Dalry Road and catch a number 4 on the other side of the road. Ask the driver to let you off when the bus turns the corner at the top of Craiglockhart Avenue, cross the road and you will get a number 10 from there to Polwarth Gardens/Terrace.

If you mean 10:30 in the morning a taxi might be easier as I don't think the 10 will run more than once every half hour on a Sunday. 10:30 at night and you will be fine!

Hope this helps. Give me a shout if still confused:-)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus route from Haymarket

According to Lothianbuses.co.uk route 4 runs from Asda/The Jewel to Hillend via:

Haymarket gyratory system, Dalry Road, Ardmillan Terrace, Slateford Road, Craiglockhart Avenue, Colinton Road,

You can trace the route on www.multimap.co.uk

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus route from Haymarket

It is true that the 4 goes along part of Colinton Road but the nearest stop to where kiwi wants to go is about 1 and a half miles away. Colinton Road is quite long:-)

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus route from Haymarket

You could get the 4 to Craiglockhart, (the 4 turns left at slateford then goes up a very steep hill turning right at the crossroads where you should get off) then cross over the road and get either the 10,27 or 45.

The walk from Craiglockhart isn't too bad given it's pretty much all downhill.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus route from Haymarket

Hey

Thank you for the help, everyone!

I printed this page!

I'll carry it with me when I get to Edinburgh!

Those websites were a lot of help, too, thank you!

:)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus route from Haymarket

I live just around the corner from Colinton Road and would never consider getting a bus from Haymarket, its quicker and easier to walk. Certainly don't get the No.4 to Colinton Road as you will end up almost the same distance away as you are when at Haymarket.

Its about a 25-30 minute walk but if thats a bit much i would get the No.4 to Ardmillan Terrace and then continue walking up the road to Harrison Road and after about a 5 minute walk this becomes Gillsland Road and your church is at the other end of the road.

Hope this helps.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus route from Haymarket

25-30 minutes?

It sounds like a good walk if the weather is nice on Sunday morning.

:)

Thank you, I'll keep this information!

I'll go check a map.

You know, I hear people in Scotland are kind, and I can say it's very true!

9. Re: bus route from Haymarket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 03:15