We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

I have long loved scotch (have to say "scotch" because the ignorant here assume you mean the dreaded whiskey with an "e" - Bourbon - yuck!). My long-time favorite is the peaty Lagavulin (when I can afford it), but my bar also usually has Laphroaig, Caol Ila, and Talisker in it, as well as a "guest whisky" or two.

I've not been as much of a beer drinker, usually opting for Michelob when having to choose. Teach me about having whisky "with a chaser". Does this mean a sip of beer and a sip of whisky or all of one and then all of the other? I'm intrigued by trying Deuchars. Do you always order a pint - or do half pints exist as well? Would Lagavulin and Deuchars make a good combination?

Here I sit in Arkansas sipping a wee dram of Laphroaig with my first trip to the UK a mere seven weeks away. Help me...

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

Hi Sunshine ~ Unclegus will be along in the morning to answer your questions I'm sure. He is the Whisky expert. But to get you started, take a look at the Inside Page on Whisky that Uncleus made: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186485-c13996/Scotla…

It's chock full of info. I can help you with some of the beer questions. Deuchars IPA is a lovely ale (wish I had one right now) and whilst I always order a pint, half pints are certainly available. And ales generally have a lower alcohol content that our US beers, so it's much easier to drink a pint. I like a few sips of whisky, but not with beer so I can't answer you on that.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,582 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

Sunshine3 ,FSM has given you the link to my article on Whisky and i hope it is of some help to you.I had the great plaesure of having a few beers and whiskies with FSM and her husband in Edinburgh & Stirling a couple of months ago..

I had the utter joy of staying in Lagavulin cottage right next door to the Lagavulin distillery when i visited Isaly a few years ago.

Lagavulin and Duchars would be a heavenly combination.

A half pint of beer with a whisky is a popular combination in Scotland and something i often do.Drink it any way you wish but generally I go for a large sip of beer then a smaller of whisky.

I was drinking Caol IIa last night.

I am no expert on Scottish beers as I am more into the continental beers,but NBClaymore and Statuesque should be able to help you along these lines.

I am off in 10 days time to visit the country that invented the Golden Beer,the Czech Republic and will be visiting a couple of breweries in the region as well as several micro breweries,I know it's a lousy way to spend a holiday but someone has to do it.

let us know of the areas you are viviting and we will try and find a distillery or two for you to visit.

Isn't anticipating a holiday wonderful?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

Anticipation is indeed wonderful - and it sound like you have something fun to anticipate coming up soon!

I have two distilleries on my itinerary so far: Ben Nevis in Fort William and Talisker on Skye. I would love to make the rounds on Islay someday but just couldn't make it work this trip. I'll be one night in Fort William, three nights on Skye, and three nights in Edinburgh this trip.

Interestingly I purchased two barrels of whisky for an investment from Ben Nevis about 11 years ago and am going to "visit" them...LOL! In a few years I hope to get a nice return on my investment.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,582 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

sounds like fun,thats 2 distilleries I haven't visited,but maybe one day.I just wish i had the money to buy one barrel of whisky never mind 2.

make sure you visit the Scotch Whisky Heritage Center in Edinburgh,it's almost next door to the castle and a great place to see round.It has a great resturant there a very good bar and a superb shop.

If you want to meet up for a drink one evening i would be happy to do so if I am free.I am sure you will enjoy your trip to Scotland.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

Enjoyed the article very much!

Ahhhh....Ardbeg - Haven't had that one in a few years. For awhile my Lagavulin had gotten up to $82. a bottle because it was all being bought up to be put in one of those blended Johnny Walker whiskies.

I became worried that Caol Ila had dropped considerably in quality not too long ago. The more I tasted it, the more it dawned on me that someone (perhaps my brother-in-law) had consumed the real stuff and replaced it with Dewars...Ha! Oh well, Dewars is not bad in a pinch.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

Oops! We were posting at the same time. We will be there June 26, 27, 28. Will you be in town?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,582 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

hopefully.I am certainly not away on holiday.

I play a lot of bowls during the summer and never quite know what days I will be free as it depends on how i get on in certain compitions,but given that I am not a great bowler by any means I most likely will have been knocked out of most compititions by then..Keep in touch and we can arrange a meet up.Are you travelling alone or with family and friends?

I am sure some other forum members will be up for a drink or two.

Illinois
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

Hey Uncle Gus, I just read your sticky on scotch and found it very helpful and interesting. Thanks! My DH loves single malt, especially McCallams, but we may have to try some of those highlighted on your list.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,582 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

Wildmom,glad you find in helpful.

all whiskies are different and everyones tatses are different,that is the joy of drinking whisky.I have never found a whisky that I hated ,just some I prefer the taste of to others.I ike the heavier more smokey whiskies,but try as many as you can I am sure you will find lots of new tastes to experience.

Well I have finished work for the day and i am going to treat myself to a small glass of Benromach from Speyside.

Drumnadrochit...
Level Contributor
96 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uncle Gus and others: Help me plan my drams and pints

If you like your Real Ale or 'Heavy; ( the heathens down south call it Bitter) then you've got a good choice over here.

The Black Isle brewery does some nice beers and lagers - Black Isle 'blonde' is one of my faves. You could also see about tracking down some of the Orkney ales - 'Dark Island' is pretty much a stout and (I may well get flamed for this) beats Guinness and Murphys hands down!

Good pubs to visit would include The Clachaig in Glen Coe ( a wide range of beers from all over Scotland) and Hootenannies in Inverness (Black Isle Brewery). There's bound to be plenty more but ma heads mashed after a long day at work and I can't think!