We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

Portugal Cove...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

We are travelling through Edinburgh towards Manchester via train and want to do spend a few hours in Edinburgh.. and we will be carrying large backpacks...

Wondering if there is a place to store (locked) luggage at the train station.. we haven't decided if we are going to stay overnight yet.. and if we are taking a late train out, would like to be able to walk about unencumbered - see the Royal Mile etc.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

Yes, there's a left luggage facility (not lockers, manned facility as far as I know) at Edinburgh Waverley - platform 1, as long as I've got the platform numbers in the right order in my head :)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

Left Luggage is actually on Plat 2 now - they've moved the platforms, not the luggage office. It's along past Virgin Trains Reception towards the Calton Rd exit.

networkrail.co.uk/documents/3891_MapEdinburg…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

I checked this for someone else recently,It's a private company that runs this and the minimum charge is £5.50 per item

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

£5.50?!

what do they do, give it a tour of the city while you're gone?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

You could do take a tour in the time in takes to check your luggage through, sometimes!

Everything is x-rayed and hand checked individually like at airports, I notice it is the same in Glasgow.

It can take a while if you land at a busy time and always allow plenty time when collecting luggage if you are about to catch a train.

If you are staying overnight most hotels will store luggage before you check in and after you check out

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,335 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

The company is Excess Baggage Company and they are open from 0700 to 2300 at Waverley.

www.excess-baggage.com

I've used them a few times at Euston and Manchester.

Exeter
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

After visiting Edinburg last week and reading this forum previously I have an even better storage solution.

Forget the storage facility at Waverley train station.

Head towards St Andrews Squares,about a 3 min walk away the other side of princes street and head the the main bus station. Here you will find excellent lockers, and plenty of them.

cost £4 small

£5 medium

£6 large

this is for 24hrs.

Lets just say I hired out the smallest locker, I fitted 2 brimmed full rucksacs in it and still had over half the locker free. Yes this was the small locker. The medium sized locker would probably be big enough for 2 large bags or a suicase. The lockers have plenty of depth in them, its just the perimeter you may have issues with butwell worth it and was much cheaper than paying to say at the hotel longer at £10 a day. And so close to the train station and airport bus link.

8. Re: Baggage storage lockers at Edinburgh train station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 06:17