We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveler wishes to meet you locals

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
59 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
traveler wishes to meet you locals

Hi TA folks,

Our 20something daughter is peeved because in two days she 'hasn't met hardly any locals' and I pretty much have told her going out on her own to meet locals in the pubs is stupid. Any suggestions or volunteers?

Cheers! M.Elston (Finally made it to Scotland.)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

Thanks for the kind words FSM - I call her mom but she's not really my mom (despite her kind words!) and anyway she's FAR too young lol.

NBC & Gus, you two really are a hoot & looking fwd to our night out on Sat (just leave the Jambo strips at home lol).

Jenn: you have a brilliant sense of humour & you'll fit in just great - shame you're not in the area this Sat :-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

Aw, thanks Statuesque! I'm sad that I'm not there too...come to think of it, I don't have any plans on Saturday except a baby shower (no, not mine!) *goes off to google last minute fares to Edinburgh* =oD

These guys seem to be very upstanding, well rounded gentlemen, so I'm sure a good time will be had by all ;o). Have a pint for us at your get-together, besides I'm sure you all need the practice. I mean, I can probably drink an ENTIRE pint so you'll need to try to keep up.

Have fun!!!

Jenn

Oregon
Level Contributor
310 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

NBClaymore, I dinnae ken when I hed a laugh like is when I read your post, and the others too, such fun, and no nasties like some forums. Keep up the good work. I will be in Ceres, Fife in Sept and will no doubt go back to our old haunts from 1965-67, Univ Edinburgh for him, Simpsons Maternity hospital for me, noo I worked there, also in Bangour Hospital.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

Aw....thanks Stats. I can't disagree with anything you said....you're SO truthful.

Now how much do I owe you? Was it one pint or three?

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

There are also some great girls on this forum, not sure about upstanding guys, more lean on the bar type of guys. Looking forward to next week.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

Well, we're usually upstanding at the start of the evening. Later we need a little support. And by the end of the evening, our skeletons have turned to jelly. :-))

Colorado
14 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

I'm one of the gals that will be joining Jenn next summer...and we happen to be upstanding at the beginning of the night too.....by the end we need more than a little support.

Have fun on Saturday!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

Ok, can I just say that I'm so jealous of you guys and your Saturday night shindig.

So if you get around to raising your glasses at some point (not that there's any doubt about that) raise one for me too. At least I have sampled some of the liquid delights at the venue, and even been upstairs and inspected the restaurant (because I thought I was coming and wanted to check it out) so I'll have a mental image of you guys .......the words exuberant, rowdy, jolly and dishevelled come to mind. Yep, wish I was there alright:-)

Jenn, maybe they'll do it all again when you come over next year. If so perhaps I should come along as a chaperone. Purely as a precautionary measure you understand.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

Howdy HowdyTam - nice to make your acquaintance ma'am!

Purple - you better believe we'll be laying on something special for Jenn, HowdyTam and the girls when they get over here. We've got a year to plan it - start saving ladies!

Also, Purple we will certainly be raising a glass to absent friends on Saturday. I really do hope you can make it sometime. Oh and, by the way you might have to revise your mental image of us guys just a little!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: traveler wishes to meet you locals

"you better believe we'll be laying on something special for Jenn, HowdyTam and the girls when they get over here. We've got a year to plan it - start saving ladies!"

Good Lord! You have no idea how giddy I am with excitement now! *rubs hands together and laughs maniacally, thinking - they have no idea exactly how SPECIAL we are!*

Oh, I mean, that's very sweet of you gentlemen to take our concerns to heart and ensure that we have the time of our lives ;o)