We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

We are coming to Edinburgh for the Festival Fringe this August. I think the brochure comes out tomorrow.

What would you say are the must-see shows please?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

Until we see the brochure who knows - and I doubt if we'll know even then as last year there were 1800 different shows

And don't forget all the other festivals that are on at the same time

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186525-s1/Edinburgh:…

we had a big discussion on this subject last year and the main points are in this link.

I love the Festival and take the good with the bad it's all part of the festival experience.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

Thank you Uncle Gus for the festival preview website. I shall have a look on that when I can.

What I really wanted, once the Programme comes out (which it hasn't yet that I can see) is your own personal recommendations.

Perhaps shows you are going to book for, or artists you have seen in the past? (Re the other Festivals, we are only going for a week and want to concentrate on comedy: - plays or stand-up).

Thank you very much if you can help.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

I am one of these guys who tends to put a pin in the programme and go with that.

I like scots comedy plays and theatre of the absurd,Samual Becket ,Ivenescu etc,but I also like to go to caberet style evenings .I often go to things I know friends are in ,so i see quite a range of shows it really is hard to recommend anything in particular.

Most of the big comedians bring out new material for the Fringe so sometimes it can be a hit or a miis,but I am not that keen on comedy stuff unless it is more a review /scetch type show.

if you have any favourite comedians or actors you can look for them in the Fringe programme ( you can do online search) and see if they are doing anything,apart from that talk to people in the bars of Edinburgh and listen to what they say about the shows they have seen,there are always a couple of "hot" shows and word soon gets around.there are on line reviews and all the major daily newspapers will have reviews of lots of shows.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

If you are into comedy and don't mind a bit of pot luck - the Best of The Fest midnight shows at the Assembly Rooms are always great. Usually feature about 4 or 5 top comedians doing 10/15 minute stand up routines. Saw some great names like Frankie Boyle and Adam Hills last year. They are at midnight and can be a bit boozy (usually me after a few pinot grigios!) but all adds to the fun!

Do bear in mind that comedy is quite a personal thing. Just because one person finds it funny and recommends something doesn't mean that you will - I have quite an odd sense of humour!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

I've just read the Scotsman on what's on & I'm knackered already. Goodness knows what it'll be like when I see the programme.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

I can recommend one show -- One-Man Star Wars Trilogy. I saw it a couple of years ago at the Edmonton Fringe Festival in Canada, and it was amazing. It helps if you have seen the movies, of course, but you needn't be a rabid fan. It's not just funny; it's brilliant theatre.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

! man Star Wars was at last year's Fringe plus he did a one off last Sunday.

So not in the Fringe this year

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

Hi

Once things have got going, there are lots of reviews of different shows - so you can see what others think.

However as well as going to some well recommended things it is pretty much compulsory to pick some strange things at random that you know nothing about - these can often be the highlight of your fringe (or not as the case may be).

Ooh I am so looking forward to it!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh Festival Fringe - recommended shows?

Just be around in the 1st week - plenty of people desperate for an audience & hence it's FREE

Or there's Fringe Sunday on the Meadows where it's all FREE