We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

Hello all,,

Am looking for a reasonably priced hotel / B&B in a nice area of Ed for me, hubby, mum & dad ( both in mid 70,s ) in middle of July for 3 nights.

We must have a car park, bar, and public transport links to city centre and touristy stuff. Probably in that order of importance.

I have been looking at reviews and hotels for 3 days now and my head is spinning. Reasonable hotels dont have car parks, B&B,s dont have a bar. There must be something out there, we're planning on seeing Britania while we are there, perhaps there is something near there!!! help......... cheers ....... Karen

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

Hello all again..

Are the elderly not welcome in Edinburgh or are there no reasonably priced hotels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with car parks

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

Greetings

Car parking is very expensive in Edinburgh because few places have many off-street parking spaces and on-street parking in most areas is strictly regulated. Generally if you are going to have a car, it's best to stay outside the city centre or find a hotel with a car park. Which may not be cheap, and you certainly don't want to be driving in Edinburgh city centre.

The Britannia is down in Leith, which is probably not where you want to be as it's not near any of the other major tourist sites. I'm sure sure what your definition of 'reasonable' is, but at this late juncture prices are probably going to be high no matter the hotel because with the school holidays, July is peak time for travels prior to the Festival.

There are some nice hotels on Grassmarket which do have parking lots, but it's not the quietest or calmest part of town. There are a couple of hotels on Lauriston Place which may have parking and are likely to be a bit quieter - not that quiet exists in the summer in Edinburgh.

Otherwise you might want to look at something like the Minto Hotel on Minto Street or to something like one of the Hiltons or something out towards the zoo. There are also a few hotels up on the East End of Princes Street which are well served by public transport, but I'm not sure about prices or availability.

Kate

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

Express by Holiday Inn Waterfront in the Leith area of Edinburgh has a carpark, is close to the Brittania and has good bus services nearby going to the city centre. It is situated next to the Ocean Terminal shopping centre. Reasonable prices (for Edinburgh!) but may not have much availability in July. The surrounding area is very mixed in character but has a wide range of restaurants and bars and you can get to the city centre in about 15 minutes on the bus or in a taxi for about £5 or so.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

thanks Kate, will look at your suggestions

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

KScot mentioned a hotel out towards the zoo. There is a Holiday Inn right beside the zoo on the main road into the city. Bar and restaurant on site and a carpark. Excellent transport into town and definately a nicer area than Leith. You could also google "Corstorphine B and Bs and hotels" for an idea of what is available on this side of the city.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

Call me biased, but come to Stirling for all you require and enjoy a half hourly train service to Edinburgh and Glasgow!!

Emelda

p.S. And we've got castle!

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

thankyou all. I have lots to chew on now...thats the ticket. xx

Houston
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

My husband and i just stayed at a B&B near the zoo called Glenlevit House. The owners were wonderful. There was parking but I don't know if it was extra because we did not have a car. It was a great location and easy to use the buses. There wasn't a bar on site but plenty near by :). Also, they serve a wonderful breakfast. Check it out!

9. Re: 3 nights in July with elderly parents in tow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 21:19