We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from scotland to the mainland

British Columbia
5 posts
Save Topic
Getting from scotland to the mainland

First of all forgive any ignorance as I'm not well travelled. I will be in Edinburgh a wedding, but I have a little over a week before the wedding will begin to do a little travelling. I will be flying into Glasgow and staying in Edinburgh. I would very much like to spend a few days in Rome, but it seems that it costs a lot to get from Edinburgh to Rome and the only way I could find is by plane. Any suggestions?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

yes getting there by Plane is the only way ,unless you want to take a train to London ,then Eurostar to Paris and another train from Paris

http://www.flyglobespan.com/

do flights to Rome ( or nearby Rome),they are a low cost carrier and may be able to offer a deal.

Rome is an expensive city to visit and stay in.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,990 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

Try Ryanair from Prestwick or Easyjet from Newcastle

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

It's about 1200 miles from Edinburgh to Rome. Globespan (FlyGlobespan.com) have a direct flight. Other options are much more inconvenient and time consuming. Have you considered seeing more of Scotland when you are here? It's a lovely country!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

Perhaps you don't appreciate that the driving distance from Edinburgh to Rome is about 2400 km, farther than, say, between Vancouver and Winnipeg.

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/ shows round trip flights between Edinburgh and Rome starting at around GBP150, taxes and fees inclusive. I doubt you could find prices that low for similar distances in Canada.

British Columbia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies, they have been very helpful.

I found a flight on easyjet.com for 327 GBP (for 2 people) on the dates I wanted to go. It leaves from Newcastle though. How hard is it to get to Newcastle?

I also didn't mean to imply that I didn't want to see more of Scotland, I will be there for a few days before leaving and also a few days after I get back, I plan to see all the sites I can!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

Newcastle is very easy to get to by train from Edinburgh. There are lots of trains every day and the trip takes about an hour and a half to 2hrs at most. From Newcastle Central station you can get the Metro train to the airport which takes about 25 minutes. We did this trip on our way to Paris just the other week and it is really easy. Newcastle airport is quite small but has everything you need and is very straightforward to use.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

Train to Newcastle (www.gner.co.uk) fares FROM £10 each one way if booked 12 weeks in advance, travel time 2 hours. Then a short walk to the Metro and about 30 minutes to the airport - think it's about £2 per person

Care to give dates as you might find KLM via Amsterdam or Air France via Paris from Ediniburgh might work out better

If you've got time then Easyjet to Stansted , Ryanair / Air Berlin to Rome might be a possible BUT it's up to you to make the connecting flight, but that applies to the train option as well

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

I should add that the reason we didn't fly from Edinburgh was cost.

Sadly there was about £250 of a difference between flights from Edinburgh and the one we took from Newcastle. Fairly normal annoyingly!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

Your Metro fare will be £2:70. Select the pink(or is it red?!) circle with a "3" in it on the ticket machine.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,287 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from scotland to the mainland

Before you book try Ryanair who fly to rome from Prestwick. You can get the train to Prestwick in around 90 minutes and it might be cheaper and easier to go from there.