We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eight days, one city

Mexico
Level Contributor
228 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Eight days, one city

Hi

My family and I have the option of stay 8 days in one scottish city (not in winter) with the option of make short visits to the surrounding places.

Can you recommend us one of the following cities?

(Inverness-Shire, Edinburgh, Ballater, Perthshire)

We like old cities, love walking and also love natural landscapes.

What would be our best option? Which of these places is the most interesting in your opinion? Which of these places has the richest history? I've been reading about Scotland and I have noticed that Ballater and its surroundings are very beautiful. But I'd really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
332 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eight days, one city

I would strongly recommend that you take up the Perth option. The main reason is that its more central and the other places are accessible from it.

Around Perth is Scone Palace, where the Stone of Destiny once belonged, also places such as Creiff, Comrie, Pitlochry, Dunkeld, Dundee, Edinburgh (1 hrs drive), St Andrews etc.

There are lots of various historical areas that are in close proximity to city of Perth.

It might be worthwhile hiring a car to give you the option of getting out and about a bit more, otherwise its more hassle getting buses/trains to the relevant areas.

Perth is at the gateway to the Highlands and the lowlands of Scotland so you will get a vast array of different scenes.

Only my humber opinion but if you do a google search on Perthshire it might give you more of an idea

Depending on when you are likely to visit Scotland, you may be lucky enough to see some of the various Highland games that take place.

UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eight days, one city

Without shadow of a dout, Edinburgh. You can go day trips to most places from Edinburgh.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
88 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eight days, one city

If you have a car I would agree with the other poster re Perth. Edinburgh is too far south if you want to spend time in the Highlands as well. You'll spend an hour each day just trying to get out of Edinburgh. I try and get out of Edinburgh into Fife every day and it can be a nightmare.

Inverness is about 2 hours at the most from Perth. Edinburgh can be done in just over an hour if the traffic is light. You can also access Dundee and Aberdeen, as well as Ballater easily.

Glasgow and Stirling are down the A9. About 90 mins to Glasgow on a good day

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
663 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eight days, one city

I would second the perthshire option.

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

can give you an overview - but just take a map of scotland, put the pin into perth and see whats within a short radius should convice you.

Ballater is fine, but not much else around other than great countryside and should you wish to see edinburgh or glasgow it would be a mad drive to get in and out and have enough time for sightseeing.

Trains from perth take less than an hour into either city and you don't need a car in the cities.

Edinburgh -enough to keep you occupied for a week, but you wuld miss out completely on some great landscapes and the rich history of fife and perthshire

below is a list of things to see which I hand to our guests (we are approx. a 30 min. drive north east of Perth) - so adjust accordingly

Recommended Places to Visit within 1 hour drive of

Tigh Na Leigh

Within 10 Mins

BLAIRGOWRIE Here you join the A93 – the road north to skiing at Glen Shee and beyond to Breamar for the famous Highland Games and Balmoral Castle

MEIGLE Home to some of the most important Pictish stones ever carved by the primitive Scots.

Within 15 Mins

KIRRIEMUIR JM Barrie Museum (Author of Peter Pan), Gateway to the Glens Museum.

GLAMIS Magnificent Castle and grounds, childhood home of the late Queen Mother, hosts many festivals and events throughout the year.

Angus Folk Museum, excellent little museum, housed in perfectly preserved 18th century cottages in the heart of the village.

Within 20 Mins

GLENISLA Stunning waterfalls at Reekie Linn, beautiful walking around Backwater reservoir, or part of the Cateran Trail back towards Alyth.

ANGUS GLENS Reached via Kirriemuir, for superb walking for all abilities with beautiful views, river, woodland and open hillside.

Within 25 Mins

FORFAR The county town of Angus, a traditional market town centre, still hosts Farmers Markets every month

DUNDEE The Royal research ship DISCOVERY, as sailed by Captain Scott to the Antarctic is berthed back here in its hometown and is today a very interesting exhibition.

Also – Art Galleries, Theatres, Museums, Concert Hall & Exhibition Centre and plenty of shops.

Within 30 Mins

DUNKELD Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Centre, noted for Osprey watching. Beautiful walks at the Hermitage, Cathedral, Beatrix Potter Museum.

SCONE Scone Palace – the coronation place for all the kings of Scotland.

Perth Racecourse – a full calendar of racing over national hunt fences and hurdles.

Within 40 Mins

Perth Known as the Fair City, frequent winner of Britain in Bloom, due to its many hanging baskets and floral displays, a very enjoyable afternoon shopping and eating Al fresco can be spent in this pedestrian friendly city.

BRECHIN Pictavia at Brechin Castle Centre – artefacts and exhibits illustrating the life of the original inhabitants of Scotland.

CARNOUSTIE Sea side town, famous for its Championship golf links course, 1999 Open reputedly one of the most challenging in the world. The Open will return here in 2007

ST. ANDREWS The Home of Golf and a mecca for any golfer. Steeped in history and

justly famous for its university. Excellent for shopping and dining out.

Within 50 Mins

ARBROATH Just along the coast from Carnoustie. Famous for ‘smokies’ , Arbroath Abbey – where Scotland’s nobles declared their independence from England in 1320.

MONTROSE The House of Dun, designed by William Adam in 1730, beautiful gardens.

Montrose Basin and nature reserve – a wildlife centre of international importance, attracting thousands of migrating and native birds. Excellent viewing facilities.

PITLOCHRY Pitlochry Festival Theatre – a great evening out.

AUCHTERARDER A beautiful town with excellent shopping.

GLENEAGLES The famous hotel & resort with 3 championship golf courses.

Within 1 hour – or slightly longer

BLAIR ATHOLL Blair Castle, 5 star attraction in Highland Perthshire, one of the great houses of Scotland.

HOUSE OF BRUAR Just north of Blair Atholl this shopping centre promotes the best of Scottish products.

FORTH ROAD BRIDGE The famous bridge that takes you from Fife over the river Forth to Edinburgh.

ABERDEEN The Silver City – so named because the colour of the traditional granite used to build many of the houses is a light grey that reflects bright sliver in the sunshine.

STIRLING The heart of William Wallace country, the famous brave heart warrior.

Stirling castle & the Wallace monument, Bannockburn battlefield and

Visitor centre only a short drive away.

EAST NEUK OF FIFE A string of beautiful small towns and villages with excellent fish restaurants on the coast of Fife, including Crail, Anstruther, Elie

and St. Monans.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,101 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eight days, one city

What about basing yourself in Stirling, the ancient capital of Scotland. It has great transport links to eveywhere (40 mins by train to Glasgow, 50 to Edinburgh) has its own history including a fantastic castle and is only 30 mins from Callander and the Trossachs and 40 from Loch Lomond. Some great walking country also within, well walking distance and decent shopping. also it does not really have any traffic problems getting in and out. Ideal.

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eight days, one city

Much though it pains me to say it, I think the Perth option is best for you. Ballater is a good base for day trips to distilleries on the whisky trail, castles and other places of interest such as the Cairngorm railway. You could visit Perthshire as a day trip from Ballater, but Edinburgh is a bit too far.

There would be enough to keep you occupied if you stayed in Ballater for a few days, but geographically Perth is better for you. There's no reason why you shouldn't visit Royal Deeside from Perthshire and driving up over Glen Shee will allow you to experience some great scenery.

Mexico
Level Contributor
228 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eight days, one city

Thank you very much for all this information. I'm sure it will be very useful for my visit.

Thank you very much.

8. Re: Eight days, one city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 16:16