We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outskirts of Edinburgh & Glascow

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
outskirts of Edinburgh & Glascow

I will be in Scotland this coming September. I have rented a car. However I do not want to drive in the centre of these two cities where the major tourist attractions are. I much prefer to stay at a hotel or B&B on the outskists and take a bus or other public transport to the centre to avoid all the headaches of driving in the city centre and parking etc. I did this in Dublin last September and suspect that this should be no problem in Edinburgh and Glascow. Any comments OR suggestions as to where to stay and leave the rental car and take public transport?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: outskirts of Edinburgh & Glascow

For Edinburgh look at the numerous small hotels and B&B's in the Minto street /Newington area of the city most will have some off street parking or free on street parking,nice part of the city with great bus connections to the center.Buses from this area to the city center take 10-15 minutes

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: outskirts of Edinburgh & Glascow

Can you not arrange your visit so that you see Glasgow and Edinburgh at the start or at the end, thus avoiding having to have a car at all while visiting those two cities? I am sure the money you are paying to have your car sitting idle at a suburban B&B could be put to better use.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outskirts of Edinburgh & Glascow

I agree with the last poster. If you are arriving in either Glasgow or Edinburgh at the start of your trip, use public transport to see one city, then travel to the other by train. Trains leave every half hour and take less than an hour.

When you are ready to see the rest of Scotland, hire a car from the airport. Both city airports are outside town and it's easier to familiarise yourself with the car here than by starting off in town.

BTW, it's Glasgow with 2 Gs.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: outskirts of Edinburgh & Glascow

Thanks for the comments ... and yes I erred about the spelling of Glasgow...

5. Re: outskirts of Edinburgh & Glascow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 14:24