We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation for a lady traveller

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation for a lady traveller

Hi, thinking of doing a 3 days trip to Edinburgh on my own this coming bank holiday in Aug. Anyone has any cheap accomodation to recommend for a single lady? Preferably somewhere with easy access to transportation.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

Picked a bad time if you want cheap accomodation.

August is the busiest time of year in the city (Edinburgh Festival).

Accomodation is scarce and expensive especially trying to book this late.

all I can suggest is you go through internet hotel/guest house sites and try and find somehwere in the price range you require.let us know what your options (if any) are and we can advise you on the places and the areas they may be in.

Sorry to sound so negative but this is a crazy time in Edinburgh

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

You might be lucky with the Edinburgh University website. They have a range of room sizes and some availability still for August (not sure what date bank holiday is right this minute - sorry)

eg a single room with shared facilities and full breakfast is 39gbp

They also do en suite rooms.

If they have something suitable then I would say book it now. Alternatively there are extra trains being put on for the festival between Edinburgh and Glasgow (55 minutes approx journey time) including some later departures, so you might have more joy staying in Glasgow and commuting on a cheap day return ticket. Here's the Uni accommodation link:

edinburghfirst.com/accommodation/accommodati…

Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

oh dear, i should have guessed that this is the busiest period! i hv searched the website and the train tickets are not particularly cheap for this period, its costs GBP98! As for accomodation, i did a search on the portal as recommended and they have B&B accomodation for 2 nites at 18 Holyrood Park Road, Edinburgh. Is this any where near the city centre?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

Yes It is within a 15-20 minute walk of the city center. Just off Dalkeith road I think this must be part of Edinburgh univesity hall of residence complex (Pollock Halls).it is a lovely area with Arthur's seat (exstinct volcano)as a back drop.Lots of buses into the city center 24hrs a day.

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

Greetings

£98? I think you must be looking at the wrong train. Trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh take less than an hour, and prices depend on the time of day, not the day of year (unless there's a price hike).

It should cost around £8-20 round trip to Glasgow, depending on the time of day and whether not you have a rail card or other discount. And there's no need to buy ahead - just get them at the station and avoid the peak hours when all the commuters are going back and forth.

Kate

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

if you are going to stay in Glasgow then I can recommend both the University of Strathclyde and the Glasgow School of Art residential services, if they are not full already. Also it would depend when in August; not sure when they open their rooms back up to their full time students. I stayed in both last month and they were fine. Basic but fine. Strathclyde was a bit nicer but more expensive. Both are about 15 walk walk from train and bus stations.

You do not need to be a student to stay there during summer.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

I think the students start coming back in dribs and drabs from early September. Though some don't arrive until the third or fourth week, so hopefully accommodation will still be available during August.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

Rooms at Strathclyde in the Campus Village will be available until the middle of September. http://www.rescat.strath.ac.uk/.

The following are the extra trains on the E&G from Edinburgh:-

dep E 0001 arr G 0056 (every day from Aug 4 to Sep2) and dep E 0030 arr G 0125 (only Sat and Sun mornings Aug 4 to Sep 2). Trains also call at Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk High, Centre of Universe and Lenzie.

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

I stayed in a guesthouse called Bremear. It's run by a couple. The mans name was Lesley Lesley :) It's lovely tho. Good breakfast in the morning. It's on the bus route from Princes Street. The stop is the one after the zoo.

Unfortunately i don't not have a telephone number for you, but i'm sure it is listed as b&b or guesthouse in Edinburgh.

Have a good time!

10. Re: Accomodation for a lady traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 03:17