We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here we go again...haunted weird places

Level Contributor
345 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Here we go again...haunted weird places

Forgive me, I am back asking the same questions a billion times, I know. Well, let me try to add a bit to it..make it more specific..

I've got a list going of "quirky places" to visit in Scotland..someone had mentioned some wells where people hang pants..I tried to do some research on where those might be and really couldnt come up with something I could pinpoint on a map.

Calva Cairns and the Witches Stone sounds good too.

Is Glamis Castle worthy? Also Knock Castle was one mentioned here too. Any other castles with spooky spectrals?

And one last thing, more specific to Edinburgh..the tours..yes, there are lots of tours..I have seen, for instance, "Auld Reekie" tours which include ghosts and torture. Sounds like fun. However..what I would like your input on is tours that DO NOT include people springing out at you...I hate that stuff...and, living here near Hollywood I dont need anymore costumed silly stuff like that..I want to see and hear about history without people leaping out at me. Any tours that are more historical (serious) and less of a show?

And...one last question and I'll shut up...any comments about a tour of Greyfriar's Kirkyard? I would love to look around there..but again, I dont want to take a tour where people burst out screaming at you. Can this be gone alone? I do like to just wander in silence sometimes, too!

Thanks so much for putting up with all the questions. I have been doing alot of research online but I've really not had alot of time to put together a decent itinerary yet. Yikes! One week to go.

Blackness Castle
Historic Sites, Castles
Craigmillar Castle
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Castles
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here we go again...haunted weird places

Hi Serafins,

The British National trust have a book called "Ghosts" that gives a good run-down of their haunted properties.

I have a book called Strange Britain too:

Author: Charles Walker

Publisher: Brian Trodd Publishing House London 1989

I got it here in Australia so it might be around in the US as well.

It gives quite good detail into myths, mysteries and legends of England, Scotland and Wales.

Tourist Information centres would help you with such tours.

Don't scare the pants off yourself!

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here we go again...haunted weird places

I went to Glamis Castle in 2004 and found it to be an extremely interesting guided tour. However it lacks the "spooky" atmosphere which I think you are looking for. It was the height of the tourist season and there were thousands of people around, inside and outside. I seem to remember there was a big event taking place in the grounds, so that detracted from everything else.

Knock Castle is near me and is a ruin - though not a complete one - free to visit and with a sad story behind it. I don't think you'd lose anything by having a look at it.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,665 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Here we go again...haunted weird places

I can't comment on tours in Edinburgh,but I know very few have "jumper outers".

Geryfriars Kirkyard can be visited during daylight hours free of charge and there is no need to take any officila tour,not sure if there is a night tour there.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here we go again...haunted weird places

Gilmerton Cove

Not spooky but certainly quirky, I've never been but I'd like to go. Its an underground house / drinking den / coven. Nobody seems very sure.

http://www.gilmertoncove.org.uk/ is on the very south of the city in Drum Street

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,665 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Here we go again...haunted weird places

i used to go into the Gilmerton Cove when I was a kid 40 years ago.then it was basically waste ground and you could climb the wall and get in ,pretty scary for a young kid (i was about 10),bit of a right of passage in that area about that time.Never been back since it was transformed into a tourist attraction.

6. Re: Here we go again...haunted weird places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 20:21