We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

Hi any advice on $ changing? I traded my traveler chesk in for an ATM card after reading some good posts. I am confused tho by where you should or shuld not change $. Arent all ATM machines more or less alike in terms of fees? When we arrive in Edinburgh airport we will need some $ altho we will have a rental car and will be driving so we can get $ out of the airport if necessary. Thanks for any advice we leave in 2 days.i will post my itinerary and hopefully get some comments or advice. thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

Some private ATMs charge a fee (usually £2.50) for each withdrawal, added on top of whatever your bank might charge (as opposed to ATMS operated by banks). Most dont and there should be a clear indication on the machine and screen if there is this extra fee.

There are a couple of ATMs upstairs (right hand side on way to gates ) that definitely don't charge. When you come through arrivals, before getting your car, go up the escalator signposted departures, turn back on yourself as if going to the gates, and they are maybe 30yds along on the right.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

Thank you kindly!!!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

I'd be very surprised if you found an ATM that charged a fee at Edinburgh Airport - or for that matter anywhere in Edinburgh unless you were in a club.

NOTE that virtually every ATM in Edinburgh will issue Scottish notes rather than Bank of England notes.

Scottish notes are very hard to change outside the UK and have varying levels of acceptability outside Scotland.

If you are travelling into England or need cash on the last day or so of your trip then there are 2 ATMs that I know of that issue BoE notes - The National Westminster Bank branch at the St Andrews Square end of George Street and the Barclays Bank at the corner of George Street & Frederick Street

Also find out what fees YOUR bank will charge and if they have a partner bank in the UK where withdrawals may be cheaper (eg Bank of America and Barclays where withdrawals are free rather than $5).

While you are doing that tell them that you are going abroad and find their overseas contact number when they forget you told them and block your card.

PIN should be a 4 digit number - UK ATMs don't have letters on them

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

Greetings

There are ATMs that charge - unfortunately more and more of them. One of the ATMs on the Grassmarket charges, and the one that used to be on West Port (before the old post office building crashed down on it) also charged for withdrawals.

The best thing is to make sure it is affiliated with a bank - it should say RBoS or Bank of Scotland or Barclays etc.

Speaking of English notes - does anyone know what kind of bank notes the HSBC bank machine on Princes St gives out?

Kate

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

Scottish notes - but there's 3 or 4 ATMs there so one *might* be different

As for which ATMs might charge - it's generally the ones you find in pubs, clubs, petrol stations & small shops - though I know of petrol stations where the ATM is free to use.

Virtually anywhere else - shopping centres, airports, train stations, supermarkets & banks there will be no charge made by the ATM owner

In any case you will be told if there is a charge by the ATM owner so you have the chance to cancel

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

Any ATM with the LINK sign on it usually charges.

By the way, I understand the Clydesdale ATM in Edinburgh Airport pays out English Pounds

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

"Any ATM with the LINK sign on it usually charges"

Don't you mean, *doesn't* usually charge*?

Thats been my experience anyway, never been charged by one - and I notice them as I was involved in the Links startup.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

That's interesting Joe. Are the LINK ones the ATM's you find in pubs and corner shops? I always thought they were the ones being slated in the press for charging £2.50 a time. Sure when I've tried to use one in a pub it said it was going to charge

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

LINK is the operator of the UK cash machine (ATM) network, connecting almost every cash machine – free and charging – in the UK

www.link.co.uk

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: edinburgh airport,etc....ATM for pounds

No - definitely no charge on Link machines.