We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Edinburgh in late March - advice?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
154 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Edinburgh in late March - advice?

My teenage son and I are planning to go to Edinburgh during his spring break to visit Scottish universities, which he's interested in attending. We live in Washington DC. I thought we should fly to Edinburgh and stay there as our base. I'm having trouble finding flights and hotels together. Seems like it would be off-season then and should be a more reasonable cost? Any recommendations on packages and/or hotels?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Edinburgh in late March - advice?

Loads of recommendations on hotels in the "Hotel" section. They will be busier at Easter. But you shouldn't have a problem booking now. If you say what you are looking for, people might be able to advise on hotels in that category or budget. Sheraton or ....?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,366 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Edinburgh in late March - advice?

Edinbirgh is always a fairly busy place if not tourism them its buisiness confrences etc.

I would suggest you book flights and accommodation seperatly

try the Edinburgh univesity accomodation services

http://www.edinburghfirst.com/

some great places to stay at reasonable cost but lots of great places to stay in.I actually work for edinburgh univesity and all the main campuses are in the city center or to the south side of the city,so staying somewhere in thes area (southside/newington) would let your son see at lot of the univesity places.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/

this is the university website and lots of info for potential students including a self guide tour of the university.

Heriot Watt and Napier Univesities are also based in the city and Queen Margarets University has a new campus in Musselburgh just on the south east edge of the city.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Edinburgh in late March - advice?

Depending on which Universities you want to visit why not make it a two centre break? Consider flights to Glasgow (this has Iceland Air serviecs from Washington via Keflavik) as well as Edinburgh even if you want to stay in the latter city as it's only about 60 miles away.

Book accomodation separate from the flights, if you are on a budget you can get good rates at Travel Inns and Premier Travel Lodges.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Edinburgh in late March - advice?

Hi

Not sure when spring break is, but yes, easter is very busy.

Edinburgh is not that much of a package destination, I imagine most would book flights and hotels separately. Satying in Edinburgh is a good idea as connections are good from here (Glasgow is only 40 miles away).

We did teh reverse trip last year (visited WDC) and went with Continental to Newark non-stop from Edinburgh with a free add on internal flight to WDC - quick and easy!

Amex travel bureaux offer this flight and also sells hotels / packages (but we found it much cheaper to book separately).

For mid-range, smallish city centre Edinburgh hotels (if you like that sort of thing), try Frederick House Hotel or Castle Guest House (http://www.castleguesthouse.com/).

Otherwise, search Trip Advisor for Edinburgh hotels, and look through list (ones with best reviews are listed first).

Washington DC
Level Contributor
154 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Edinburgh in late March - advice?

Thanks to all of you - very helpful information!

6. Re: Travel to Edinburgh in late March - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 16:16