We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

Hello-

How long in town:

Looking for some advice before we book our accomodation for next summer. My teen daughter and I love interesting theater, movies, art and books and really want to be in Edinburgh for some of the Fringe festival. We can make it there (we are traveling also in the Baltics and Kaliningrad and London (meeting friends) for the very beginning of the Fringe (arriving Aug. 2.) We are wondering what would be a good amount of time to see the city, assuming that each day we are also attending one or two performances. We have some friends coming on the 3rd and 4th, but we could add time to our leg of the trip. Edinburgh seems like a fabulous city (we don't even mind bad weather if that's the case , and we love to walk as well as cafe-sit. Any thoughts?

If there is plenty to occupy us--and it seems like there as, especially at this time of year-- I'm thinking of renting an apt. for 7 nights--but is this too much with a 15 year old? Are there age restrictions on festival shows (we go to San Francisco shows a lot and see all kinds of things....I guess you'd call us rather open-minded.) We'll have loads of fun with the shows, etc. but thinking of other things, too....

Good spots for teens?:

What age can teens go to clubs ? (thinking of when her friend is there) Are there any places (clubs, restaurants, cafes) that are cool for young people but where her friend's mom and I (we're not too embarassing, I don't think) could be tolerated (or at least wherethe girls wouldn't be too embarassed to enter with us :)?)

All advice appreciated!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,619 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

I think you will easily fill a week at that time of year. There is an overwhelming amount to see and do during the Festivals. If by any chance you tired of the Fringe there are plenty of interesting side trips you can do around the city.

Your 15 year old should get into just about any show. In my experience they are quite relaxed about that.

Not so with clubs. They check ID and you need to be 18.

Your biggest problem might be finding accommodation. The best places book up early. Once you make your decision to go I would get it booked.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,993 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

first of all can i say what a wonderful decision to come to edinburgh during the Fringe,It is a wonderful place for people of all ages and you will have plenty to see and do it your time here.

have a look at these Insider Pages

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186525-s1/Edinburgh:…

there are specif information on the Fringe,children ,theatre etc.

lots of youth theatre groups perform each year on the Fringe ,there might even be a company from near where you live,so you can go and support them.

lots of temporary places open up during this time and two of my favourite places to hang out are the Pleasance Courtyard (lots of famous comedians hang out there) and beside the Speigel tent in George square gardensboth have bars and food areas and are great people watching places ,you also get to here about the "must see" shows and new artists.

There are many free shows on all over the city as well as exhibitions ,book festival and non stop street entertainers.the place will be buzzing.

might be worth asking on this forum if other visitors have similar aged kids staying in the city at the same time,kids can maybe meet up for a few hours do their own thing and meet with the parents later (BTW Edinburgh is a very safe city)

I hope this has given you a few ideas and i am sure lots of others will give you info,please please book accommodation EARLY as it does get so very busy you may find the places you want may not be available.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

thegoodwitch and I are doing it again.

hi how are you doing?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,619 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

Hi babes

we should do a double act at the Fringe

;)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,993 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

would people pay to see us?

of course they would.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

Hi,

I think a week will give you time to see the city and see the shows, and you won't have any time to be bored... be sure to check in advice the fringe page so you have an idea on what you want to see, there's so much to see...

As it was pointed out before all the clubs ask for id and you should be over 18, however there's a club for under 18's:

http://www.clubego.co.uk/events.php

http://www.bebo.com/club2hot

I've seen it opened most saturdays its in a safe area and you is next to the omni center so you can wait for them there and you can take them there to have dinner after, I've seen lots of teenagers hanging around there when the club finishes, some with moms/dads, and both george square and pleasance courtyard have big areas where you can sit, have a drink and are not embarrassing places for a 15 year old.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

<<would people pay to see us?

of course they would.>>

Gus - I've seen you for free and you make me laugh ;-)

Agree with the worthy posters above - the city takes on a special atmosphere when the Fringe is on and the whole place is buzzing!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

Lots of 15 year old will go to over 18 clubs and pubs, I know I did at that age. From looking at the people hanging around outside Ego I'd say its more 12-13 years olds. I don't think there are that many clubs where you would both enjoy though, they tend to be either younger or older groups. You will be able to go to any pub at night as well, she will be much more likely to be asked for ID in a bar than a club but if she went in with you would most probably be ok just being there, not drinking alcohol. In my opinion the main problem pubs etc have with underage drinking is the state that teenagers can get into. If she is sensible and looks mature enough and particulalrly if she is with you she will probably be ok.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

Thank you everyone for your advice--all of it very useful! We are in the process of booking for 5 or 7 nights (depends on what works out best for place to stay.) Edinburgh looks fabulous and we can't wait to visit!

durham
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Number of days in Edinburgh w/ 15 yr old during Fringe?

Hi there,

Being a travelmom myself with a 13yr old son you will both thoroughly enjoy being in edinburgh during the fring as theres absolutely loads of venues with something going on which you probably wont get to see all of them. Plus theres all the museums AND the Castle for you to visit as well as a host of street performers all along the Royal Mile so be prepared for a VERY exhausting visit :-)but one that you will never forget & probably want to come back to time & time again as its different every year.

All the best for Christmas & the New Year