We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homecoming Scotland 2009

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Homecoming Scotland 2009

I guess its early days yet, but I hear talk that Homecoming Scotland 2009 is to be launched on 250th Anniversary of Rabbie Burns Birth, Jan 25th 2009, by way of some kind of Burns Night bash. There is also an argument to have it launched on Hogmanay since its a year long thing. Auld Lang Syne and 'a' that;-)

What do you think?

"In 2009 we are inviting you to celebrate with us. Whether you live in Scotland, are part of our extended global family, or maybe you just love Scotland, join us in our 2009 celebrations.

Why 2009? 2009 marks the 250th anniversary of the birth of our national poet and international cultural icon Robert Burns whose message of friendship and 'Auld Lang Syne' lives on.

2009 will be a celebration of not only Robert Burns but some of Scotland's great contributions to the world: Burns, Golf, Whisky, The Enlightenment and Innovation, as well as our rich culture and heritage which lives on at home and through the many people of Scots descent who live out with our shores."

Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
476 reviews
from US$327.10*
Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands...
1,929 reviews
from US$64.30*
Special Offer
2-Day Loch Ness and Inverness Small...
194 reviews
from US$165.80*
US$184.20
Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond Small...
422 reviews
from US$52.80*
Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Thought you might be interested in this Burns link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rJU-Ww0BD_g

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Hi Purple,

Any chance of us promoting the Homecoming in the south west of Scotland as it would benefit just about everybody in it? The Homecoming pages have been improved and are worth a look.

homecomingscotland2009.com/whats-on/default.…

homecomingscotland2009.com/what-is-homecomin…

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

I think it is a great idea, I travelled for the first time to Scotland this year and absolutely loved it, we went to the Highlands Kyle of Lochalsh to be precise.

Part of family actually come from the Lowlands, any ideas for coastal towns on the Lowlands?

That is where I want to go next year, for Homecoming, found out that GG Grandfather was a Ships Captain, sailed out of the Lowland Ports, whatever they are and was also a Quaker. Sorry Scottish area is still a bit of a mystery to me. Any ideas would be very gratefully received, groping around in the dark at the moment.

Thanks

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Check out the towns of Dumfries, Ayr and Greenock.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Thanks Aulyin,

I will have a look at them, also managed to get in touch with Visit Scotland and they are going to send me some brouchers as well. Can't wait, everyone talks about the Highlands, but no one seems to mention the Lowlands.

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Isis, you said >..found out that GG Grandfather was a Ships Captain, sailed out of the Lowland Ports..<

I know nothing about Lowland ports but I do know that apart from your usual south-west-of-Scotland- icons; Wallace, MacAdam, Bruce, Burns, etc, there were icons of the waves;

Betsy Miller (1790-1864) first woman captain was born in Saltcoats, Ayrshire

John Paul Jones (1747-92) Nicknamed "Father of the American Navy", born on an estate near Kirkcudbright.

Henry Eckford (1775-1832) Nicknamed "Father of the U.S. Navy", born in Irvine, Ayrshire.

William Symington (1763-1831) ran the first steam vessel powered by the horizontal steam engine that he patented in 1801. He was born in Leadhills, Dumfriesshire.

All of these places are inside "Burns' Corridor", south west Scotland. (Accessable from the A76)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Isis, you may like to take a closer look at the Isle of Arran - its known as Scotland in miniature because it has mountains, sea and lowlands and its easily accessable by ferry.

Its also worth noting that the Dumfries and Galloway Hills and Forests are quite stunning and offer a decent challenge to people who enjoy hillwalking, or just rambling - as frequent call-outs of the local rescue helicopter will attest!

Don't let that put you off though. It certainly has a feeling of remoteness if you want to get away from it all without travelling all the way to the highlands, and also has a stunning coastline.

Orphir, United...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Hi Everyone,

Burns night gets my vote.

Hi fofoma do you have a website address for this.

Tthnak you.

Best wishes

HBL

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Hi Purpleceltic and Aulyin

Thanks for your all help, I have been looking at Welcome Cottages website, went with them to Kyle of Lochalsh, and found a couple of places that look really nice:

Port William

Sandhead

Cairnbaan by Lochgilphead

and Carradale near Argyll

Perhaps not Lowlands, but they do look nice.

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2009

Visit the south west for a change, after all thats where your GG granddad lived. There's a great maritime museum in Irvine, Ayrshire. That's not far from the ferry which takes you to Arran. The west coast is beautiful, as are the Southern Uplands.

Burns Country and the land of innovation, what more could you want. Have a look at the south west coast, you won't be disappointed. Have a look at:www.barendholidayvillage.co.uk

Cheers, Aulyin