We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some help with questions

Clinton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Need some help with questions

Ok, I will try to keep this breif, but i have so many questions. My mom and I are going to visit my little brother who is studying at the University of Edinburgh. We are going at the end of February, and we will be there about a week. We plan on flying into and out of London and we will spend one night and day in London either before or after we spend most of our time in Edinburgh. So on to my many questions....

My mom and I both love reading travel guides and books, does anyone have any suggestions on great books that will give us some guidance of great things to do an see while we are there?

Also, being two women traveling together, are there any areas we should avoid staying in? We would like to be as close to my brother (he is in Pollock Halls) as possible and we are trying to stay as low budget as we can. So any suggestions are appreciated.

Neither of us have ever been to Europe before, so any general travel tips are greatly welcome as well. And is there anything that we should make a point to NOT MISS while we are there?

I have loved reading all the posts and responses in the forums, and I can't wait to hear what you all have to say in response to my questions. Thank you in advance!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,871 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Need some help with questions

The Pancake place is definatly away ,now called Garfunkles.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
658 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Need some help with questions

Rather than flying in and out of London and wasting time at immigration etc - have you checked out flights from Atlanta to Edinburgh?

Delta has a daily flight into EDI - Atlanta should be easy to reach from Jackson Airport

total flying time 11 hrs plus stop over in Atlanta, luggage can be check tru to Edinburgh and avoids all the hassle in London.

climbing a mountain - guess you mom means

Arthur's Seat.

Clinton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Need some help with questions

thanks for the suggestions on the flights, but we are flying stand by on american, because my sister works for american and we have her passes. So we are getting a free flight (just paying the taxes) and it will only go into London.

And yes, i think it is Arthur's seat. I asked her about it yesterday. Is there anything we need to know about it?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Need some help with questions

as Gus has already mentioned Arthurs Seat is an extinct volcano and along with Salisbury Crags is a rock formation known as a crag and tail. Castle Rock and Royal Mile are the same type of formation as is the rock that Stirling Castle stands.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,871 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Need some help with questions

Athurs Seat is at the back of Pollock halls and it should take about 90-120 minutes to walk from Pollock halls to the top and back.Some great views from the top,but remember to wrap up warm ,february can be very very cold.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Need some help with questions

firstgroup.com/scotrail/…index.php

Have you considered catching the overnight train from London Euston to Edinburgh? Check out the 'Bargain Berths' for tickets starting from 19GBP.

Saves on night's accommodation cost and sounds like it might be fun. We have booked it for early April.

I would also recommend a visit to the Brittania - it's an intersting glimpse into the life the Royal Family live. Also, if you want to see an intersting piece of clever engineering, drive to Falkirk to see the 'Wheel'.

http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
658 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Need some help with questions

to climb arthur's seat and in fact for your entire walking experience (edinburgh is best discovered when walking)do bring a pair of comfortable walking shoes as some roads are cobblestoned, uneven pavements, lots of hills. Girlie heels will NOT do.

Bring clothes to layer - scotland is a lot colder than your home state, your average winter temp. is an

average summer day in scotland. long sleeve tshirt, fleece top & waterproof jacket to top, do not forget gloves, scarf and a hat (nothing worse than loosing your ears to frostbite).

Travelling from London - personally prefer a day time train, reasonably quick and a chance to see a bit of the country side. Did the night train once (yes it saves a hotelnight), but did not sleep very much due to noisy neighbours and arriving very early.

Clinton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Need some help with questions

thanks for the tips on staying warm. I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots that are very comfortable to get around in, so i plan on wearing those while we are there....

also, does anyone know anything about the Grassmarket hotel?

Clinton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Need some help with questions

uncle gus, you asked what my brother was studying, i just got done talking to him and he said his classes are: "Business Science and Info Systems, Employment Relations, and a Religion class"

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,871 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Need some help with questions

I would avoid the Grassmarket Hotel at all costs,low cost ,grubby and used by the Stag and hen party crowds.

You brother could not be further from my area of the University ,i am based in a campus on the south side of the city.