We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

this might be a stupid question

Clinton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
this might be a stupid question

i was looking at some websites that are on the Trip Advisor Scotland page and i came across this one: edinburgh-royalmile.com/closes/royalmile-clo…

I could assume that closes means that these places are closed for some reason, but I am guessing that is incorrect. Could you tell me some other terms that might be different or confusing while i am in Scotland?

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: this might be a stupid question

Hi Sheabird - not a stupid question at all :-). Closes and wynds are names given to alleyways; closes are alleys ( built in medieval times) that are closed at one end, wynds are open at both ends. They branch off from the Royal Mile and the closes are fascinating places to explore. Don't miss the Writers Museum at Lady Stair's Close!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: this might be a stupid question

Livinglife has given a very good description of Closes.they are basically alleys between buildings,closes are wonderful places to explore,lots of them all the way down the Royal mile.in some places you can actually touch both building quite easily and many of the closes have lots of historical links,.you will find some of Edinburgh's older buildings in these places and also some unusual views of the city.some of them lead down to steps that will take you a short cut to other parts of the city.

There are also other areas called "Land's" they look like closes from the outside but open up into large courtyard areas.

All of they worth a few minutes of exploration.

have you found the self guide map of the University yet,if not P/m me and I will send you the link,there are some stunning buildings and courtyards to discover there and all within a very easy walk of the main tourist sights.I took alady from your part of the world on a Univerity tour over the New Year period,and even though many of the palces were closed she manage =d to see some wonderful buildings that the majority of tourist totally miss.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: this might be a stupid question

Just to confuse matters in Perth such lanes or closes are called vennels from the latin word for a lane.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: this might be a stupid question

http://www.edzell.org/Scottish_Sayings.htm

http://www.fife.50megs.com/scots-glossary.htm

here are a couple of websites to help you with Scottish words and sayings.

have fun.

last year another regular poster and I spent an evening teaching an American lady visitor the saying

"awa an bile yer heid ,ye bletherin skite"

I still laugh about that evening

I will let you try and work out what it means.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: this might be a stupid question

Following on from Uncle Gus ...

A Glasgow woman goes to the dentist and settles down in the chair.

'Comfy?' asks the dentist.

'Govan,' she replies.

A guy walks into an antiques shop and says: 'How much for the set of antlers?'

'Two hundred quid,' says the bloke behind the counter.

'That's affa deer,' says the guy.

Did you hear about the fella who liked eating bricks and cement?

He's awa' noo.

What do you call a pigeon that goes to Aviemore for its holidays?

A skean dhu.

I think that's enough for now.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: this might be a stupid question

Would I be correct in stating that some of Edinburgh's closes are open closes lol, though perhaps they were originally closed closes?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: this might be a stupid question

LOL - Smithstone but I think they may need a bit of a translation for those not of a Scottish persuasion however a lot will be lost in translation unfortunately.

Gus - that lovely American lady still uses that phrase to get effect but I think it is time we taught her another one. ;-)

I have already made the word 'numpty' a favourite amongst my colonial friends.

Clinton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: this might be a stupid question

haha! you all gave me a good laugh this morning.I am not sure I understand everything, but I am sure I am going to stay very amused while in Edinburgh trying to figure out what everyone is saying. And I am sure all the locals will be very amused with my very southern accent.

I am getting into photography, so i am hoping to see all of the amazing building you are talking about Uncle Gus, I will pm you to get the guide you are talking about.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: this might be a stupid question

Ian Rankin's book Fleshmarket Close ( This real life Close is just offf the Royal Mile in the city) is marketed in the USA as Fleshmarket Alley.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: this might be a stupid question

many years ago in the city (before the PC brigade got the upper hand) you used to see signs outside the tourist shops that would say.........

English,French,Italian and German spoken

American understood!