We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

Melbourne, Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

My husband and I are planning to spend 3 nights in Edinburgh with our 20 month old toddler.

Can anyone suggest any suitable day trips within a few hours drive. We are planning to rent a car for 1 day. We would love to visit the highlands but not sure if this is practical with a young child?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

What time of year are you visiting?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

Try a trip to St Andrews, under one and a half hours from Edinburgh, going across the Forth Road bridge. There is the most amazing beach there with miles of flat clean sand for running/ sandcastles, paddling etc. There is also the Sea Life centre with lots of fish, seacreatures and seals to see, although the access is not great for buggies.http://www.standrewsaquarium.co.uk/

For the adults it is a beautiful historic town to visit with an old university, and of course it is the home of golf.

http://www.standrews.co.uk/

If you took the scenic route along the "east neuk" of fife- visiting little coastal villages of Crail, Elie, Pittenweem there are lovely little fishing harbours and sheltered coves as well as playgrounds ideal for toddlers.

Within Edinburgh there are lots of (free) activities that would amuse a toddler. Send me a mail if you want more information- my kids are not long past this stage!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

St Andrews is a good choice.

If you want somewhere nearer there's the beach at Yellowcraigs, just before North Berwick. Its got a brilliant playground between the carpark and the beach.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,096 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

Is Craigton park not just outside St.Andrews (if it is still open).

used to go there a lot as a kid,absolutely loved it ,but that was over 40 years ago.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

There is of course the obvious suggestion of Edinburgh zoo - your toddler might like the penguin parade daily at 2.15pm.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

Good suggestion unclegus, Craigtoun is still going, been a while since I have been, great place for toddler & St.Andrews well worth a day trip.

visit-standrews.co.uk/craigtouncountrypark.c…

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

I was at Craigtoun a few weeks ago and they have just done up the whole play area with new surfaces so it doesn't get so muddy in the Scottish weather, , new swings/ climbing frames/ slides etc. and new trampolines. The little train ride is always a thrill for little ones. Bring a picnic and it is a great day out.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,096 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

I am really glad Craigton is still going strong,just remember some great childhood memories of the place.

I know I am a grumpy old man these days but Craigton will always have a wee place in my heart.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

Squirrels at the Botanic Gardens - Grey unfortunately

But the Penguin Parade at the zoo has to be the numero uno destination for small children (and not so small adults)

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Edinburgh with toddler- things to do?

Greetings!

As to the car - you might want to reconsider unless you really want to go somewhere the train doesn't. The roads in Edinburgh will be a bit more of a mess than they normally are in the coming months due to prep work for the tram system, so you'd probably spend more time stuck in traffic than actually getting anywhere. And parking can best be described as a nightmare

Otherwise, I would arrange to pick up/return the car either at the airport or at a location outside the city center. You can get a bus cheaply and easily to the airport, and you don't have to worry about driving (or parking) in the city centre.

Have fun!

Kate

P.S. I'd also recommend the zoo as well as the Museum of Childhood.