We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Topic
What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

Hi All:

I will be down 29/02 - 02/03. Is there some sort of fottball championship that weekend? What do we (my friend and I) have to look forward too on those dates?

Any other suggestions for a two day itinerary would be great as we just booked this today and have no time to research since I am off to UK in a few days.

Interested in culture, landmarks, castles, pubs, history and want to blend in with the locals :-)

Please advise.

Cheers,

Sasha

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

One of the local football (soccer) teams Hibernian (known as Hibs) are playing at home against Glasgow Celtic who are one of the 2 biggest teams in Scotland. It is unlikely that tickets will be publicly available though as they are likely to be all sold out to season ticket holders.

There are no rugby international games that weekend.

In the theatres follow these links for what's on- booking advisable. http://www.eft.co.uk/whatson/events.asp

http://www.lyceum.org.uk/

http://www.traverse.co.uk/show_result.php

For a short visit, I suggest you take a round city bus tour which you can hop on and off at the various sights- it takes about 1 hour to do the whole circuit. An evening ghost tour is also good fun and brings you to places off the Royal mile that you would never otherwise go to. Have a look at the "go lists" for the must see sights for Edinburgh. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

Blending in with the locals - you like a challenge do you? LOL

www.list.co.uk gives you a comprehensive list of what is on during your visit that you can search by date.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

Thanks all for your help!

Never thought there would be hop on - hop off buses, that would be perfect for us since we only have two days ;-( And looking forward to the evening ghost tour as well :-) And I hope to see some castles!

I am assuming with the footy match on - Edinburgh will be crowded that weekend?

What time will the matches be on? Since probably won't be able to get tickets, will they show it live at the pubs?

I have looked on the forum briefly - so confused at this point with all hotel options, tried to book a couple last night and they were no rooms available!

Can you recommend somewhere that will be available that is near pubs, lounges etc. (ie George Street) And has a cool, trendy, atmosphere? 3*** and above.

ANY help would be extremely helpful!

Thank you so much in advance...

Cheers,

Sasha

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

Hi All,

I need serious help - i cannot find a decent hotel - all the hotels (near george street, princeds street) are booked - even the premier inn!!

Need major help - any websites or suggestions??

Thank you!

Cheers,

Sasha

Cardiff
Level Contributor
137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

Try this one

http://www.visitscotland.com/

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

Sasha

I've looked at Laterooms

www.laterooms.com/en/Hotels.aspx…

and there is plenty of availability on those dates.

Don't get too hung up on the George Street area as Edinburgh is a small city. You can see the distances from the city centre on the site.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

Thanks all for your suggestions....I managed to get a room before your posts. It's the Premier Inn...hopefully it's decent fo rthe little time we will be in the room.

Will post my trip on return!

Thank you all for your help and so looking forward to my Edinburgh holiday!

Cheers,

Sasha

8. Re: What's going on from Feb. 29th - March 2nd?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 21:16